Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I am have a problem with my case back 580 super L. When i am

Customer Question
Hello. I am have a...
Hello. I am have a problem with my case back hoe 580 super L.
When i am driving in any gear the machine will drive perfect for about a minute and then it will stop moving. As if i had it in neutral. But when i turn off the machine and turn it on it will work again for a moment and then stop. To move the machine to one location to another i would have to drive, turn off, turn on, drive. It has plenty of good clean oil in trans.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/8/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 2 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

I see no one has answered. What is year model of backhoe? Shuttle is part of transmission, and not separate , with it's own dipstick and case? This is all mechanical shift, not electric? Sounds like the pump is running out of oil, and shutting it down, gives oil time to drain back to sump. Have you tried over filling by a gallon? Maybe pump suction has internal leak,

Not sure on year model but i know it is a series 2. I attached photo of serial. I believe it is mechanical shift but the shifter does have a button on it, not sure what for. And i have tried over filling by gallon same issue. I can operate for close to a minute in forward and reverse all gears

The button on the shifter is to kick transmission out of gear while loading, or shifting gears. Does it work ,and is this the action that is happening when trying to drive?

It seems as if that is happening when im driving. Has a button similar to that on controls for bucket when i am driving and push button on bucket control it will disengage trans. The one on gear selector does not work, i just tried it and it does not do anything. At times itll run real sluggish towards the end until it has reached a complete stop.

The solenoid is on the shift cover of the shuttle section. Unplug the solenoid and see if it will drive.

I disconnected connector and nothing happened

Still does the same? Then has to be pump suction problem. Have you tried over filling by a gallon?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician