Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a no drive condition on an older 600s serial 01587. All…

Have a no drive condition...
Have a no drive condition on an older 600s serial 01587. All other functions are working including the steering. This condition came about suddenly as the machine was in use. I have tried changing the orientation with no change.
8/16/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** this a JLG lift you are working on?

it a JLG 600s serial 01587. This problem occured on a jobsite after about 1/2 hour of use. There is no noticalbe load on the engine when attempting to drive in either direction. All other functions appear to be working, including the steering.

Thanks for the update. There is an interlock that shuts out drive and steer functions when the boom is operated. I see that steering still works though. That means it is likely isolated to the drive circuit itself. Do you have the manuals with the schematics and test specs? If not i can help with those . Let me know

thanks for the reply. Is the interlock the limit switch that is activated when the boom is not aligned with the white and black arrows indicating direction of travel?
No, I do not have any material other than the operators manual.

Let me know what you find for flash codes and click accept if interested in the file sharing and let me know once accepted so I know to share the links.

Dan, Technician
I do not know how to rertieve the flash codes or the service manuals, is that explained in the manual? and how do I retrieve the manuals?

Copy and paste the link I posted in the private contact window above

I have the manuals now, thanks. How Do I retrieve the flash codes? Note: this machine does not appear to have a data link connector; I believe it predates that system.
Are you still with me?

Hi Thanks for the update. Sorry for the delay. I am not an employee of the site and got called out on the road. If I am not available during the day I log in at night to respond to any follow ups. Let me double check the manuals. Do they look different than your serial number? What is the complete serial number? any numbers before the ones you posted?

The complete serial number is###-##-####
I noticed that the platform control box shows an analyzer connector exiting the bottom of the box. That would appear to be indicating a newer machine.
I am assuming that there is a solenoid valve that activates the drive motor function. Do you know where that valve might be located? I have not been able to locate it, if it exists.
Are there cartridge valves related to the drive function?
Is there a troubleshooting flow chart available ?
Is there related pressure tests I can perform?
As I use the controller to drive, is it releasing the brake system and engaging the drive system simultaneously? If so, how do test the related components
Could the problem be related to the "precision drive control unit" in the engine compartment ?In my last post, that analyzer connector is pictured in the manual, but is not on my machine. Sorry for any confusion
are you still there?

Thanks for the update. Those are the manuals for your machine. The analyzer is a separate tool for diagnostics a and not part of the lift. Go to section 5 and 5.8 for the pressure setting and checking. the schematics are at the end of the manual both electrical and hydraulic.

I noticed you didn't answer several of my questions, are you familiar with this machine? So far, I haven't had a single possible cause for the issue with the machine. You have offered no expert advice regarding the no drive issue.

Hi Steve, What were the results of the pressure tests in section 5 for the drive circuit? Is the solenoid for the control valve getting powered when drive is engaged to operate drive? if so and the mechanical side of the valve is functioning we need to confirm pressures in the circuit and if okay we will need to check the drive motors for excessive case drain pressure indicating excessive internal leakage in the drive motor and also check inside the hydraulic filter for signs of fine metal/debris that would flag a pump, drive motor, or component failure occurring. It will look like metallic glitter in the oil and filter. We need to isolate these things and rule them out by testing. What have you tested so far from the service book? And what are those results?

section 5, 5.8, telescope in 2700 psi (no adjustments made), steering left or right 2300 psi (no adjustments made), swing left or right 1300 psi (no adjustments made), boom down 1100 psi (no adjustments made).
I could not find identify the valve that activates the drive motor circuit. All solenoid valves are labeled but I don't see any that indicate drive function, therefore I couldn't preform any electrical power tests. Can you help in locating the dirve control valve so that i may complete the testing please ? I will check in on Monday the 28th, have a nice weekend!

Thanks for the update. check for any signs of fine metal in the filter that would indicate a component failure occurring, Also verify your charge/pilot pressure which it the control pressure that controls the pump output to the drive motors depending on the signal pressure. If the electrical all tests good at the joysticks to the controller then go to the schematic in the Parts manual. You will see drive comes from the main control valve and then through a flow divider valve. Check to see if there are pressures there and if not we know its a problem on the control side.

I have specific questions I need answered.
1. Have you worked on this make and model machine, or is your expertise general knowledge? If so:
2. Which electrical component (s) are activated to engage the hydraulic components in the forward and reverse drive system?
3. In your experience with this specific make and model machine, what are the most common failures related to the no drive condition?

Hi ***** you have a flow meter and a full set of test gauges? What is your knowledge and experience level with hydro-static drives? How about their theory and operation? It goes from the variable displacement pumps to flow divider valves and into the drives. Are you fluent on hydraulic schematics as far as reading and understanding? You are looking for a canned solution but avoiding my questions for the troubleshooting process. Are you even taking my advice here? Doing any of these checks?Did you check inside the filters that may reveal a component failure occurring? Did you check for excessive case drain that would confirm a drive motor problem?

Possible causes of no drive is the platform raised above the set level of the safety switch/sensors, switch/sensor/wiring problem, faulty controller, failed switch, solenoid or wiring harness. Then there are possible hydraulic component failures or problems such as control valve,relief valve, flow divider, pump/drive motor problems, etc. This is isolated through testing and confirmation, then moving to the next step.

Other than the pressure tests that I preformed and relayed the results of, your reply information has been artfully evasive and generic, nothing specific to this machine. Other than the set of manuals you sold me, you have been no help. I realize an admission of your lack of specific knowledge minimizes your credibility on this and possibly other sites, because credibility is a selling point.
I arrived at this site because I needed expert information on this specific machine.
Bringing my abilities and tooling into question rather than delivering a forthright answer is valueless and I would remind you; I am not attempting to sell my expertise, that is your purported endeavor.Your response forces me to conclude that you have no experience with this specific machine and are only applying general knowledge of hydraulic and electrical systems.
I have one final question for you.
Does this site give me an option to seek another “expert”?