Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have jcb 214, engine runs fine. I lost hydraulics, oops,

I have jcb...

I have jcb 214

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Engine runs fine. I lost hydraulics

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Oops, wii get serial... 1 minute

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Right now am at trying to find if the hydraulics are repairable by me.. SLP214 TCWE 473193

8/15/2017
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Check inside the hydraulic filter for fine metal/debris that would confirm a pump/component failure. If found the system will need to be thoroughly and completely cleaned out before running the new pump or component. If clean, check the relief valve cartridges and control valve for problems such as damaged o rings, debris, sticking etc. Let me know

Hi Dan,
I am old retired fart, so can only work a few minutes at a time. I loosened up filter, ran for 20 seconds. Collected the hyraulic in white bucket, got 2 gallons. Poured off to get to the bottom of bucket. sediment is soft, not hard.
Sending a picture to you.
Hi Dan,,, Theory.... The pump is pumping (we got 2 gal of hydr.). If one of the cylinders loses packing, then all goes right through, carrying packing. I lose pressure throughout. Now, how to find the bad cylinder? Is this a good theory? Possible reason bad theory is that normally one of the valves must be opened in order to pass fluid. (front blade, backhoe levers etc.)
Is there a way to get fluid through a good pump and get soft debris?)
al

Thanks for the update. Is that the hydraulic filter or the transmission filter? Either that is dirt that was around the filter base or that is friction material from the transmission clutches. Does not look like anything that would be in the hydraulic system.

The filler for the transmission is a curved tube on the left of the engine. the trans filter is below the curved tube and is accessible by lifting the front end. the filter I loosened is underneath and to the rear. I had to crawl under the JCB to get to it, and it is difficult to get to. This is the one I loosened. the fluid ran directly into the bucket.
I have had almost all the hydraulic rams overhauled in the past 5 years. Maybe one of them had low quality parts.
There is enough coming through to plug up the filter really quickly. I will buy a filter put it on and see if I get hydraulic for a few minutes. this will take a day.
al

Thanks for the update. It is possible it is some seal material from the pistons or just dirt from the housing of the filter that got in the bucket. Cut open the old filter from the top and look inside for metal. Use a piping or exhaust cutter so there are no metal filings. then open up the the filter, cut a large sample and inspect for metal/debris after squeezing the oil out in a vise. You can cut the filter media with a utility knife.

Hey Dan.
There is a filter on the main hydraulic tank. I will take it off and see what goes there.
Maybe the filter on the side of the engine is the oil filter.
maybe the one underneath is the transmission filter.
al

I have a shop manual I can help you with if interested I will send the offer

Dan, Technician