Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My 580 sm backhoe will start but makes loud click when key…

Customer Question
My 580 sm backhoe...

My 580 sm backhoe will start but makes loud click when key turned

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Case 580sm

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and nothing yet I think it is the alternator

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
case 580 sm will not start but makes loud click noised from alternator when key turned
8/9/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Lok at the injection pump area, for the fuel solenoid, this solenoid has to open the fuel supply as soon as you turn on the key, sounds like it is making the clicking noise, butis not opening the fuel, It may be broken or disconnected.

Would look like this.

https://www.ebay.com/i/172140883453?chn=ps&dispItem=1

if when the solenoid does not work it would not allow the motor to turn over at all? turn key and click loud

So engine does not turn! Ok, is the starter solenoid making the click? Can engine be rotated by hand with wench/ Starter may be stuck in flywheel or the engine can be seized! Alternator is not likey to have load click and make engine not start.

has been running fine then lately it would just click when key turned but then would start after a few attempts,
checked battery and is good, blew off engine.
not sure where is starter solenoid ? feels lick click comes from alternator
where do I put wrench to turn engine and unstick stater in fly wheel ?there is no cranking just click

Follow the positive battery cable direct to the starter solenoid. The solenoid has to engage the start. Solenoid or starter is likely problem.

engine is not seized I am digging a pool hole and shut down to take measurements when we went to start it just clicks anyway to bypass and help start to get away from hole

If it is the starter solenoid making the click, and you have full battery voltage to the solenoid, the solenoid or starter has to be replaced! Jumping the solenoid will likley not engage the starter.

ok ty we will give it a go

OK>

I see question is still open.????