Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I am working on a project to fit a rotating grapple with…

Customer Question
Hi there, I am...

Hi there, I am working on a project to fit a rotating grapple with hydraulic chainsaw attachment on a Volvo EC220DL excavator. As there is no hydraulic function available to run the saw we have set this up with a new priority valve flow regulator - fitted directly between the pumps and the main valve bank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Great thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

The extra function with fitment of a priority valve (similar to those used with muching attachments etc) is the main thing. We are having difficulty in finding a way to connect to the Volvo load sense system to get both pumps active - this is the solution we're chasing. Thanks

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
At the moment this circuit looks like the attached diagram, but without the load sense line and shuttle valve.During tests yesterday we managed to set the flows and pressures for this new priority circuit - but without any load sense we had to activate two other functions (grapple close and boom out for example) in order to stroke both pumps.We are still waiting for advice from Volvo product support and suspect that due to this unorthodox approach we may not get the answers we need (The extra complexity stems from the fact that the Volvo load sense is electronically managed).In the meantime we hoped to use just one extra function (grapple close) to stroke both pumps then allowing the 'saw' function to be activated and operate correctly. This would also serve as a 'dead-man' switch ensuring the saw couldn't be activated accidentally.
This does work but due to the low flow demand of the grapple circuit only one pump is stroked, which is insufficient for the 160L/min required by the saw.
The priority flow regulator used on this machine should have been a "Vosch 300 double" on page 4 of the attached PDF to suit the two pump system on this machine.
Due to supply issues we've had to instead fit two "Vosch 300 single" valves and simply tee connected their output to a common pressure output line over the boom.
8/5/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. Is this machine plumbed for a hammer or aux hydraulics? If so I am assuming you are running the grapple off of that circuit and need an additional circuit for the saw. The best way is to add another valve bank for that function. It is not common practice to bypass or tie in between the pumps for any AUX function. Let me know. We can follow up as needed.

Hi Dan, appreciate your response.
The Volvo is X3 spec so there is an extra function X1 for working tools (now running the grapple) and X3 function operating the rotate.The priority flow regulator has been fitted to give us the additional circuit required by the saw for the following reasons;
1) We needed to add an extra valve in any case
2) The priority arrangement is preferred as we will have priority given to the saw motor to keep correct cutting speed regardless of other inputs.It seems that for mulcher type attachments on excavators a priority arrangement like this isn't necessarily uncommon and works very well in these scenarios.
We also need to allow for flexibility of adding a mulcher to this excavator in future with the same performance considerations in mind.This machine is equipped with the priority valve now so I am seeking information from an excavator expert that will help complete the job - rather than going back to any other method.Cheers
Dan, Technician