Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

My 416 C Cat Backhoe front left wheel suddenly locked up…

Customer Question
My 416 C Cat...

My 416 C Cat Backhoe front left wheel suddenly locked up while I was roading it along in 3rd gear. It was not in 4wheel drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

416-C , Product I D Number: 4ZN06247, Engine serial: 5HK73828, Trans: B9815071

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Wheels are turning freely now. Have removed oil in both front hubs and front differential: no filings or metal chips, no chipped gears. No unusual noise. Could the front drive solenoid have accidently momentarily engaged while I was bouncing down the road?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I love you.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/4/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 6 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Beginning with the C model, CAT introduced a feature called All Wheel braking.

When the All Wheel Drive switch left side is pressed, you are in constant all wheel drive.

When the switch right side is pressed, the All Wheel Drive is completely off.

When the switch is in the center position, the front axle is engaged when you apply the brakes and this will double the braking ability of the machine.

As soon as you release the brakes, the front axle is released.

This is all done with the all wheel drive solenoid and switches on the brake pedal.

So, it is possible to have the front axle to engage if you were bouncing and the pedals were bouncing too.

The only way to be certain you do not have any damage to the front hub is to fully disassemble it for a complete inspection.

If the oil has always been serviced and was kept at the proper leave, I doubt you have any damage.

I haven't seen any failures of the hubs or final drives without the oil leaking out or water getting into the oil.

If you need further help on this, please let me know. I will be glad to help all I can.

Thank you,

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician