Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I have a 3306B in a 330 excavator. Engine was rebuilt about

Customer Question
1500 Hrs ago. Just started...
I have a 3306B in a 330 excavator. Engine was rebuilt about 1500 Hrs ago. Just started to have low power and wants to stall under a load. Has 10 Lbs boost under as much load before stalling. Put a turbo from another engine that runs good, Tested injectors replaced 4 of the 6 put another injection pump on manually held air fuel ratio valve, Has 28 Lbs fuel pressure @ filter housing that's mounted to Inj pump. I took a Gal. Jug with new line to transfer pump with the return off still same thing. I am going to check valve travel & adjustment, after that I quess
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: 330L S/N 5YM00369
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We took the inner cooler apart and it was clean
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/27/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 4 months ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, This question looks familiar. Can you post copies of the links of your previous postings so I can review them and not repeat all the previous answers?

What happened to the fuel pressure while you had the gallon container connected?

Where are you taking the boost readings?

Have you tried using the pump backup mode? (Manual or hand icon shown on some models)

Are you certain no one left a copper injector sealing washer in a hole? Seen this problem many times.

Why was the engine rebuilt? When did these problems begin and what problems have you already fixed? (Related or not, since the engine rebuild?)

The engine was rebuilt because it spun a rod bearing. This was about 4 years ago. It was running fine up until the problem started. The first thing was we thought it was the fuel filter. In addition to the things I mentioned I also ran with the muffler and intake at the turbo off and still low boost. Fuel pressure was 28 Lbs, service manual says min of 16 Lbs. There is no blow by I think I am going to try another fuel filter. To your question, the first time I checked the boost I took the fitting out of the intake that feeds the air fuel ratio valve and put 25 Lbs of air to the valve. Then we toot the cover off the valve and manually held the valve with no results. Now the machine is back together with a boost gauge in the side of the inner cooler. I didn't take a fuel pressure while running on the gallon container, just was trying to make sure that there wasn't some restriction from the tank to the pump.

Sorry for the late reply. Storms had knocked out my internet.

Can you post copies of the links of your previous postings so I can review them and not repeat all the previous answers?

Fuel pressure of 28 psi is good if it was under full load. Normally, I read it with no load and full engine speed, fuel pressure should top out about 46 psi. Then I test under load and if it does not fall below 16 psi, it should have good power.

You need to compare pressure on both sides of the aftercooler. This will show if it is restricted.

Are you certain no one left a copper injector sealing washer in a hole? Seen this problem many times. Two washers will cause power to drop.

What is the serial number of the old engine and the new one if you changed it from the original engine?

It's the original engine just overhauled. I'm not sure if the fuel pressure checked under load. I will check. The boost was checked on both sides and the of the cooler. When you say back up pump are you talking about the hand primer? I did pump as hard as I could while running under load, din't make any difference.

I would still like to review the work others have already told you. No need for me to waste both of ours time repeating the same things.

I cannot locate the engine serial number for this machine, can you post the full engine serial number?

When I asked about the pump backup mode, I was referring to the hydraulic pump backup mode switch located in the rear of the left console.

It has two positions, AUTO, and MANUAL. The Auto mode uses the controller to set engine load from the hydraulic pump. The Manual mode (sometimes has a hand icon) will set a fixed pump output through a resistor. This will help determine if the pump or PRV is not controlling the load on the engine as it should.

When you rebuilt the engine, did you use all CAT parts? Where the parts ordered from your engine serial number?

All the parts were from Cat from the machine S/N. It ran fine for about 4 years. It ran fine up until the time the problem started.
We thought it was a fuel filter problem, this happened in the afternoon, Ran fine till then. As far as the hydraulics I 'm not sure this machine has a manual switch. But I feather the controls to put a load on the engine without stalling it and the boost never gets over 10 lbs. I'm not around the machine now to get the engine S/N but I will get it during the week. Also as far as fuel pressure under a load, I put a fuel injection pump with the transfer pump from another machine that was running good and that didn't help. This problem happened suddenly, I think we have to look at the valves for adjustment and if they travel enough but I don't hear any valve noise. I don't know how to send you a link.

Thanks for the information. The more I can get the better I can see what you have been through trying to fix this.

When I see low boost, the first thing I look for is air leaks. I would spray the mounting areas with a soapy solution where the aftercooler housing fastens to the cylinder head.

I have seen the gasket blow out the side and loose boost. Also, spray the seam of the aftercooler and all the joints back to the turbo.

I am sure you have checked injection pump timing since you tried another pump.

All 300 series excavators have these backup switches. On the 330 one console has a single switch under the cover at the rear of the console. This is the pump control. On the other console will be two switches and these are your throttle override switches to control the engine speed should the controller fail. You can use this feature to see if the throttle is at full speed should the dial calibration be off.

If you can view your old posts, just right click on the address at the top of your browser and select copy. Then go back to this post and right click in the chat window and select paste. This will save the address and then I can view the same chat you had previously.

I had the intake off and apart. and replaced all gaskets.
I will check for the switch Monday.

Ok, great.

Test the fuel pressure at full throttle no load and with a load. Then try the backup mode and test again.

Monitor engine rpm with no load and under load so we can see the stall speed of the engine.

Perform the stall speed with the backup mode off and on to see the difference.

Record the main pump pressure relief for both pumps and also record pilot pressure and PRV pressures under load and no load.

Also, record the engine serial number and post all the results when you can. I will be back online tomorrow night and will review your findings.

I am going out where the machine is today Thursday I will see what I can do and get back to you.
Thanks

Thanks for the update.

How did the testing go?

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician