Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a 1968 D-5 Cat dozer and need an alternator to

Customer Question

I have a 1968 D-5 Cat dozer and need an alternator to replace the generator please
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: I need an alternator that will fit a 1968 D-5 Cat Dozer the generator is toast
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried an alternator that was for a newer cat and ran into cleance issue with the body of the alternator hiting on the motor mount
JA: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it 24 volt syste m
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 months ago.

I would like to help you with this problem.

Please post the complete machine serial number of this tractor, I need it to research updates and changes that will work on this machine.

Also please post the part number of the alternator you previously used.

How many batteries do you have? Are they wired together?

In series? (Negative to positive jumper cable) Or parallel? (Positive to positive and negative to negative jumper cable)

After you post the information, please allow me some time to do the research and check for all options.