Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a cat 304cr excavator that will not shut off with

Customer Question

I have a cat 304cr excavator that will not shut off with key
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: cat 304 cr nad02134
JA: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I put a new shut off solenoid a new shut down timer checked all relays a new key switch and checked all the wires everything seams to be correct I can by pass timer with jumper wire and it shuts down
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i talked with cat tech several times we cant figure it out
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
anything????
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Give me some time to pull up and review the schematic on this machine.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Click on this link to access the diagrams

Troubleshooting

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have the schematic i have been working on this at least 10 hours talked to two different cat mechanics it all started about a month after I replaced the key switch the new switch was different then the old one the cat mechanic and i figured out it had to be wired differently than the original but machine worked fine for over a month then it wouldn't shut off every time then it kept getting worst to the point now it wont shut down with the key at all Now the only way to shut it off is to push the shut off plunger on the injector
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i have that already
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
if i put a meter on the wires at the timer everything is working if i unplug timer and jump from a hot to the pink wire going to solenoid it will shut machine off it is like the timer isn't working but cat gave me two different brand news to try
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

What is the keyswitch part number they gave you?

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Did you check the shutdown relay? The main and ACC relays are the same part number and can be swapped for test purposes.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
im not sure but the machine worked fine for over a month
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

9G7641 is the switch number I have

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i pulled all the relays out and checked 1 believe all 5 are they located are they located right behind the 2 60 amp circuit breakers
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

What was different with the switch they gave you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that's the switch old one had 6 posts only used 4 new one was 4 posts but we had to double up the key on one and not use the one for power when key is off
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it worked for over a month afterwards
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Click below. There is a bulletin for the wiring. Did you get a copy of this bulletin from the other techs?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
mine has a white wire coming down from the key that was the wire that sends the signal to the timer to shut engine down but your schematic doesn't show that cat said that mine might have the older wire harness before my serial number is ***** any other relay sensior
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Mini Hydraulic Excavator:

303 (S/N: DMA1-3508)

304 (S/N: NAD1-2810)

305 CR (S/N: DSA1-1191; DGT1-1240)

Service Magazine SEPD0860-00, 23 October 2006, "Improved Start Switch for Mini Hydraulic Excavators". Disregard this article. Refer to the article that follows.

Reference: Special Instruction, REHS3554, "Installation of Start Switch for Mini Hydraulic Excavators"

Description of Change: The entrance of dirt or moisture can cause a malfunction of the start switch. In some cases, the start switch may not correctly return to the neutral position. The new start switch has improved resistance to water and dust.

A change to the electrical wiring and the addition of a power relay is required to make the new start switch compatible with the standard machine arrangement.

Adaptable To: Replace the existing start switch with the new start switch. Refer to Table 1 for the effectivity of the improved start switch.

Table 1

Effectivity and Adaptability for the Improved Start Switch

Sales Model Effectivity Adaptability

303 CR S/N:DMA3509-UP S/N:DMA1-3508

304 CR S/N:NAD2811-UP S/N:NAD1-2810

305 CR S/N:DGT1241-UP S/N:DGT1-1240

305 CR S/N:DSA1192-UP S/N:DGT1-1191

Reference: Refer to the appropriate Service Manual module Disassembly and Assembly for your machine.

Reference: Refer to Special Instruction, REHS3554, "Installation of Start Switch for Mini Hydraulic Excavators" for installation instructions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
never got that could you explain that to me like i said the switch was working fine for over a month the machine starts fine just wont shut down with the key
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
my serial number is ***** that ???
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Like i said this is very confusing i tried everything possible
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Click on this link. I just tried uploading it. Let me know if you can access it

Switch installation

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
could the glow plug timer or any other thing be not working causing this any hidden fuses
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

It covers SN 1 through 2810 so yours is part of this bulletin

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
there are no pictures
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when i put a meter on all the wires at the timer they are all doing what they are supposed to but why did this switch work for over a month if it was wired wrong
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it just seams there is a fuse or relay that im missing
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

The shutdown relay sends power wire 327

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Is the shutdown relay not kicking out and maintaining power at 327?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok is that before or after the timer where is that wire located at
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
where is that relay at
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Wait im uploading other stuff

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok we might be getting somewhere now
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
can you give me a number
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

for?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
relay is in right arm rest ???
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

these are the pictures to go with what I already sent.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok let me go look quick
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

I also tried in a different format. Let me know if this shows the pictures.

Switch installation

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Run through and check the wiring per the info I sent over. I have to sign out for now as I have to prep for my job tomorrow. Keep me posted and we can follow up as needed

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i just went and looked i don't see any relays anywhere in either console do you have any way to give me the names with the pictures
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Cat information is not printed that way unfortunately. The schematic has the part numbers under the description and you can Identify by part number, description, and wire number, etc.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i cant find no relays in console
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i found one relay on mounted on the side of the ac under seat those pictures you sent are they the 304cr because mine look different its blue I was hoping you could of stuck with me tonight as i have to get this fixed
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I am not an employee of the site. I have a full time business and family obligations to tend to. I can help with what I can but I can not wait by the computer. The schematics have a component locator. The relays are in location C as shown in the schematics.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
any one there
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have to get this fixed
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I am going to opt out. Maybe another expert will have the time to walk you through step by step. I have a repair business and help on here as time allows.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Did you get this resolved?