Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

2006 2054 mustang skid loader that the parking brake will…

2006 2054 mustang skid...

2006 2054 mustang skid loader that the parking brake will suddenly engage locking the hydraulics and all controls. The parking brake switch goes dark. After several minute it lights up and you can go. It happens frequently. fluids are all ok. Getting frustrating.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Model 2054, don't have serial # with me right now. T handle steering, foot arm and bucket controls.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just why the brake engages while running and moving and then will release. I can hear an audible click when it releases and the parking switch light comes back on so I know I can move again. It's not good when the arms are up and the door is blocked when it locks up........And when it engages when your moving it can't be good on the machine

7/21/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

ok

There is a circuit breaker, that is tripping and when you hear the click, it resets. It trips because it has too much load, from bad brake solenoid coil or corroded wires or connections.

I figured it was something in that area. Need to know where to start looking at the wiring to track it down.
Any wiring diagrams, pictures of what to look at etc.

Sorry not on the Mustang, start at the park brake solenoid ans see if it gets hot or wires are damaged, to find circuit breaker , you will have to find source of the click!

Where is the solenoid located?

Under seat area, turn switch on and off, and listen for it.

Thanks , better no rating than a negative rating. I will opt out, and let someone else help.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. What is your machine serial number so I can be sure you get the correct information?

I don't have it with me right now. It is 2006 year model 2054.I have tried to locate any problems with the wiring when shut down and lifting the seat and checking connections. I can't locate "the clicking noise" referred to by the last person as It only happens when running and I'm in the cab......I have pulled connections apart, cleaned and checked them on every plug I can find including taking the overhead dash and switches apart and cleaning them too. I'm very unhappy with the service I received from my dealer as they sent a guy out to try and fix it and the first thing he said was he doesn't know much about skid loaders..200.00 service call later still having trouble.... I have pretty good mechanical ability if I can get pointed in the right direction where to look. IS there a particular connection or wire bundle that is the most likely culprit? Only clue I can give you is seems to happen more frequently on warmer or hot weather.

Thanks for the info. This can be from a safety interlock switch disengaging or wiring issue in that circuit( loose connections or grounds), A faulty relay or solenoid at the control valves,l faulty park brake switch, or a mechanical problem in the hydraulics with low pressure in the system, etc. Check the filters for signs of fine metal/debris indicating a pump or component issue occurring. Click this link for the parts manual to assist in component locations. Let me know

Parts

There are schematics at the end of the manual as well.

Dan, Technician