Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a crack in the plate on the boom were the thumb was…

Hello. I have...

Hello. I have a crack in the plate on the boom were the thumb was attached. We need to air arc off the cylinder attachment and put a full plate on top after we repair the cracks. What grade of plate is the boom ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I will have to get a hold of the owner for that info. Its a big hoe with a chuck blade and thumb on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its a 290 LC and no that's all

7/18/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, My name is***** will be glad to help. Is this a Deere 290 LC?

Hi Dan Its an Hitachi 290 LC

A yield strength of Q345B is around 420MPa or better is enough for small and medium excavator. Bigger than 50ton excavator you should use better quality steel such as Q690D whose yield strength reach around 800MPa to prevent cracking. The crack likely happened from the operators improper use of the thumb or the initial welding.

Thanks for the info. Yes it was a little of both that caused this. We will fix it up and be good to go. Thanks again.

Pleasure to help

For some machines the steel plate for fabricated box sections is usually a 290 MPa structural steel to a specification something like ASTM A513/A519/A572. It is best to go a bit higher if this customer is rough on the equipment. The 420MPA should be fine for the purpose.

Dan, Technician