Dan, Technician
Experience:  17+ yrs. shop and field experience with all major brands of heavy equipment and trucks - 1995 WyoTech graduate.
65405794

I have a deere 485 backhoe; I like to know why my secondary

Customer Question

I have a john deere 485 backhoe; I like to know why my secondary boom will not retract /weak response retracting; so where is the problem?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: I have a 485 john deere backhoe; the problem is the secondary boom has a weak retraction. Would like to know what the problem is.
JA: Anything else you want the agriculture mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. There can be more than one cause for this to happen. One is the seals leaking by inside the cylinder, another is a problem in the control valve or relief valve for that function( look for debris, stuck open/broken, damage to the valve, damaged o rings), Misalignment/damaged/worn slides or wear pads, or weak pump(if other functions are not slow this is unlikely). Let me know