Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Got a 2007 Cat D6R LGP with a system 1 undercarriage with…

Got a 2007 Cat...

Got a 2007 Cat D6R LGP with a system 1 undercarriage with 10,900 hours on the machine. The machine ran away awhile back and bent the push rods, we have replaced, run the dozer some more and bent the push rods again, we have fixed the machine and debating on selling but kinda on the fence about whether to get rid of it or not. its pretty clean and dent free, angle blade and winch tractor. With it having a system 1 undercarriage and the push rod bending issue do you think it would be best to just get rid of it? haven't heard to many good things about system 2 undercarriage.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Its a Cat D6R LGP Series 3, I am not at liberty to give out the serial number though due to privacy issues with the company, just want to make the right decision for the company.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's it

7/12/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Can you post the serial number prefix which is the first three digits so I can be sure to look at the correct machine info?

sir, its a WRG prefix

Can you tell me the conditions that existed when the machine engine ran away? Was it traveling forward down a steep slope allowing the weight of the machine to push the engine above rated RPM under a load in a lower gear? If so this could be related to the operation conditions rather than an engine issue.

What is the engine prefix? For some reason WRG is not coming up. Is this a us spec machine?

Not sure what the engine prefix is but the turbo went out on the machine, when the shop replaced the turbo they did not clean all the oil out of the intake and intercooler, the machine used that as a fuel source and ran away, I'm sure it loosened the rollers on the cam shaft when it done that and now its just giving us problems every so many hours. Was really just curious if the machine is worth keeping or selling? I know the old D6R's are popular but I was curious if that machine would be worth putting a motor in it. Also I just never heard good things about the system 1 undercarriage.

What procedure was used on adjusting the valves and torquing the rocker shafts as right in the manual there is specific instruction to be sure the adjusting nuts are loosened before installing the rocker shafts or stress and bent push rods can occur.

I'm really not sure what the shop did, just was curious if these old machines are worth keeping around, I was on the fence about selling or keeping, just wanted a 2nd opinion I guess

I was at Cat when System one first came out and it was common for the front idler mounting blocks to break off in the beginning and you need the system one press to do anything with them. I was not a fan of the system one undercarriage personally. They did not fair well in more rocky material and when problems occurred, Cats answer was to add track guards to keep the rocks out. What type of material are you usually working with? I like the older style undecarraige where you can unbolt the master link at the track pad. Easier to service and less problems.

It might worth a new engine if the machine was good for you prior to the turbo failure.

sir, and that's why I was on the fence about it, I really would rather keep an older machine rather than buy a new machine. Those tractors are easier to work on. But the whole bending the push rod thing twice has a little scared and really don't want to drop 25-30K in an engine, then 6 month later maybe the tranny might go, and so on. That's the issue is that we do a lot of work in rocky areas which is hard on any LGP but the gas companies require lower ground psi when working over hot lines so we typically do cleanup with the LGP's.I guess if we were to order a new machine the way to go would be heavy duty tracks and severe duty grousers?

If you are in rocky conditions frequently I would spec out a heavier duty undercarriage to avoid problems

10-4, well thanks man

Pleasure to help.

Dan, Technician