Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

416b front bucket raises a couple feet slowly then stops.

Hello 416b front bucket raises...
Hello 416b front bucket raises a couple feet slowly then stops. After warm up it will not lift. I have been reading about the resonator test, it does no different when operating another function. My thought is a relief valve stuck? If so how can I find it?
7/6/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

All functions weak ? Relief valve is in the inlet section of the loader valve. But what you describe can be a bad hydraulic pump!

All other functions work fine. The pump is fine. Only problem is boom up on the loader.

Will it hold it's position or does it leak down?

It holds. If you hold the lever in raise position it will lower slowly.

If it holds position , with lever in neutral cylinders are ok, and you are right, the valve section for the boom would have a circuit relief valve. It will be screwed into the section of the boom spool valve. Each section of the valve, boom and bucket will have one.

https://www.scribd.com/doc/135807972/416B-Hyd-Test-Adjusting

http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/1dd1a2856b384a058254736efa588d2eCurtis check this answer. I think all I need is this missing pics here to fix my problem. The link you sent me only gives previews, and it was for newer models. I need a sketch showing me what was repaired in this thread so I can order parts. My Cat dealer is no help. I have to tell them what part it is and they order it. Already been down that road they ordered parts for the wrong valve bank.

I don't have it. and can't pull it up. Let me opt out and see if Catman will respond. problem has to be at the boom section of the control valve.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. What is your machine serial number? The relief valves will be in the main control valve for that function but also you could have a problem in the resolvers as well. Let me know the serial number so I can pull some info for you.

8sg or 8zk serial number?

Click on this link for the loader control valve service information I uploaded for you. Remove and inspect the relief cartridges as well for damaged o rings, debris, scoring, etc. Be careful not to lose the balls in the valves. inspect and replace the balls and check the seats for wear or damage.

Loader control valve

Click this link for further troubleshooting and diagnostics as well.

Troubleshooting

Thanks i will check them later today

Pleasure to help.

Dan I ccant open the link. It dowloads but then wont open. Anyway I pulled the bottom off the valve and found that seals were gone. I have the replacements but dont know which grooves they go in. Picture coming next.
SN also on the printout.

Thanks for the update. When you look at the seal grooves on 23 you will see that the grooves for the seals the o rings will fit snug in the grooves and you will stack them in the exact same order by part number in the diagram. I will pull up the part numbers if you do not have them with your parts pages.

Click on this link for the previous info I uploaded. I did a different format for you and took a snapshot of my screen.

Dissassembly and assembly

23A. 1P-7363 [1]-

SEAL-O-RING

23B. 3J-7354 [1]-

SEAL-O-RING

23C. 8T-2361 [1]-

SEAL-O-RING

23D. 126-5984 [1]-

RING-BACKUP

23E. 126-5985 [1]-

RING-BACKUP

24. 5B-9318 [7]-

BALL

The backup rings go in the same groove as the oring next in line in order by part number on the parts page you posted. Cat o rings have the part number printed on them. So there is the o ring and backup ring in the same groove.

23b is the one near the threads

If i install the seals and snap a pic could you confirm installation is correct? Some had an awkward fit so i removed them and put the pin back to stop the hydraulic fluid drip.

Are the part numbers on the seals? They should be if CAT OEM parts

Yes. we will give that a shot and if you can tell me top to bottom the part numbers in the order stacked.

Thanx I have to send a crew outt first thing and be back around 9am. Hopefully get it back together and be done with this one.

Pleasure to help.

See attached. The bags with part # are in the order installed. The 23c and 23d will not fit on the same groove. The 23 c will not seat in the groove below. Am I missing something? The upper seals were gone when I removed the part. It just doesnt seem right.

That backup ring should fit snug next to the o ring and the gaps closed like the other one. Grease the seals prior to reassembly.

Dan, Technician
Done. It would not fit with the lower backup ring. Maybe they revised the part? Anyways it works great

Glad you got it resolved. Seems like it is possible they updated the thicker o ring instead of utilizing the back up ring.