Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a A 300 bobcat skid steer and I'm having some

Customer Question
I have a A...

I have a A 300 bobcat skid steer and I'm having some problems starting it. I sit in the seat pull down the safety arm turn on the key and only 3 lights come on the panel with the traction light off. The starter just clicks like it would if the battery was dead. However if I ground out the starter it starts right up. Any ideas.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I'll have to run out to the property to get that information. Im sure it says A300 but I don't have the serial number on me. I think it's an early 90s machine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

No I'm sure I will have multiple questions when I'm contacted

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
7/3/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Starter clicking , but solenoid is not making the connection. Likely the voltage from the keyswitch is not enough to close the solenoid. With dash lights not coming on, you may have a bad connection in the fuse panel or the wiring connections for the dash. You know starter and solenoid are good, and it is not a safety switch, or the key would not click the starter solenoid. Or run wire direct from the keyswitch to the solenoid.

The bobcat won't start unless all four lights come on. The panel is in the upper left hand corner of the cab. When you turn the key on three of the lights come on then you put the traction release button and the fourth light comes on then you can start the bobcat. now that light won't come on. I can start the bobcat by grounding out the starter with a screw driver. It will run all day long but when I move it it dies

I don't have a wiring diagram. Let me opt out, so someone else can help. Sorry.

Thank you
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** is your machine serial number?

Hi Dan what I can read of it *5211111__* I can't read the last two numbers on it.
Ok what I have is the panel lights say Press to.operate light is on. Seat bar light is on. Lift and tilt valve light is off. Traction light is off. Codes 38-23 and 38-34. Normally I turn the key and make sure it's in*****and I press the green button and all four lights come on then I start it and go do my thing. Now only the first two lights come on and the bobcat won't start. However, I can start it by grounding out the starter but I still can drive it.

38-23 Front right steering sensor out of range high

38-34 Left Front Steering Sensor Out Of Range Low

Check the wiring harness to the sensor for damage and if okay replace the sensors and re calibrate. Let me know