Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

I have a very old 500 forklift. We had the steering cylinder

Customer Question

I have a very old clark 500 forklift. We had the steering cylinder rebuilt but when we put it back together the steering wheel spins 3 or 4 turns before it engages. It will turn the wheels it just takes spins to get there. thanks: Tom
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Industrial Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: I have a very old Clark 500 forklift. We had the steering cylinder rebuilt but when we put it back together it takes 3 or 4 turns before it engages. It steers, it just takes turns to get there. thanks; Tom
JA: Anything else you want the industrial mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 months ago.

Sounds like the system is full of air.

I would lift the steering axle off the ground and verify hydraulic tank is full.

Then turn the wheels all the way to the left or right and hold pressure on the steering wheel.

Then steer the opposite direction and hold the wheel under pressure or until is begins building pressure.

If that does not help, loosen the lines to one side of the steering cylinder and then repeat the process to force the air out of the lines.

If that does not work, install a pressure gauge on the line to one side of the steering cylinder and see what the actual pressure is to the cylinder.

800 psi is average.