Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have installed a new gentec 824 thumb on my volvo ecr28…

Customer Question
I have installed a...

I have installed a new gentec 824 thumb on my volvo ecr28 excavator. The cylinder was only partly filled with hydraulic oil. The machine was preplumbed for a thumb. I got new hoses to go from the cylinder to the pipes on the boom. The macchine engine changes tone when I activate the rocker switch but no oil seem to come to the thumb cylinder to activate it. The thumb can be moved by hand. air pressure makes that a bit spongy. What has been overlooked.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Construction Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Thank you. Are there changes and if so how much?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

The machine has only about 260 engine hours on it. The oil tank is almost full and the oil is clean.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/12/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** you certain the plumbing or current settings are for thumb or possibly a hammer? That is what may be your problem is that it is not currently setup for double acting hydraulics.

There should be a switch to switch the valve between double acting and single acting hydraulics for accessories. You are likely on single acting. Let me know