Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Cat skid steer 287C. Parking brake light is on and yellow…

Cat skid steer 287C...

Cat skid steer 287C. Parking brake light is on and yellow warning light is flashing and brake will not disengage. All wiring and connections appear in good shape.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Give me a minute

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

287C High FLow XPS Two Speed. MAS1733. I have just cleaned and inspected was about to start testing wiring and switches, but thought I would check to see if there was something simpler first.

Checked Resistance from Connector One pin 31 to solenoid and back through connector pin 38 7- 7.5 ohms. Removed connector at solenoid and check resistance on both wires 31 and 38 and both were 0.3 ohms. Cannot really access pins in connector on solenoid to test solenoid coil itself. I have a troubleshooting pdf for B series skid steer and it says resistance should be 10.5 ohms across solenoid coil on B series. I am guessing when current is applied to the solenoid it unlocks the brake. So either I am not getting current to the solenoid or the solenoid coil is bad. Correct??
Answered in 1 day by:
6/12/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will try to help. B series and C series are different animal. B series has two ECMs and an interlock ECM. The C series utilizes one ECM for the whole machine and if you do not have the optional diagnostic display, you will need Cat ET on a laptop to do anything other than inspect and test wiring and to access any fault codes or error messages. Do you have Cat ET?

Interlock Strategy The interlock strategy is similar to the "B" Series machines, but is now controlled by the Machine ECM. This illustration shows the input and output components (red) used to control the interlock function. The Machine ECM prohibits the engine from starting and de-energizes the pilot ON/OFF solenoid valve and the implement pilot shutoff solenoid valve until certain conditions are met. The Machine ECM disables the work tool hydraulic system until the operator is seated with the armrest down, the door closed, the hydraulic lockout switch off, and the park brake released. The Machine ECM reads the input signals from various switches on the machine. The armrest switch is a normally open switch located at the hinge point for the left armrest. The armrest switch closes when the left armrest is lowered. The seat switch is a normally open switch that is located below the operator's seat. The seat switch closes when the operator is seated in the seat. The door switch is a normally open switch located on the inside of the door. The door switch closes when the door is closed.

The Machine ECM determines operator requests from input signals from the key start switch, the park brake switch, and the hydraulic lockout switch. The Machine ECM controls engagement of the starter motor. The start relay is powered by the Machine ECM when the following inputs are seen: the key start switch, the armrest switch, and the seat switch. An open circuit on the key start switch input disables machine starting. A short to ground on the key switch input blows a fuse, disabling machine starting. A short to battery on the key start switch input causes the start relay to be continuously energized as long as the armrest switch and seat switch remain in the closed position. An open circuit or short to ground to the start relay disables machine starting. Shorts to battery in the start relay circuit cause the start relay to be continuously energized, resulting in starter motor damage. The implement pilot shutoff solenoid and park brake solenoid are energized by the Machine ECM when the park brake switch is depressed. Once energized, the implement pilot shutoff solenoid will not be disabled with the park brake switch. NOTE: If the selectable pattern switch is installed, a pattern (1 or 2) must be chosen before the park brake can be released. The work tool hydraulic system can be disabled independently of the travel system by depressing the optional hydraulic lockout switch or by opening the operator's compartment door. The implement pilot shutoff solenoid remains energized as long as the hydraulic lockout switch and the door switch remain closed to ground. Opening either of the switches causes the ECM to disable the solenoids. The implement pilot shutoff solenoid is re-energized when the hydraulic lockout switch and the door switch are closed to ground.

Let me know if you need help with any diagrams, or a troubleshooting guide as well.

The engine starts and runs normally. The hydraulics are operational for the arms and the forward and reverse are enabled but park brake prevents movement. History of issue. I was drilling post holes and I noticed the right track was catching when I wanted to creep forward. Reversing the right track seemed to alleviate the issue temporarily. When I finished for the day I was tracking the machine back to the barn when the park brake engaged by itself. After playing with the switch and reversing the trakcs it unlock and I was able to track the machine to the barn. The next day the warning light was flashing and the brake will not unlock. My take from your above reply all of the conditions are being met for the ECM to release the brake since everything else will work. My 262 C does have the diagnostic display but my 287C does not. I do not have Cat ET. Location of machine is a long ways from anyone who might have CAT ET. I am assuming the solenoid is a 12 volt solenoid. If so is it possible to connect 12 volts directly to solenoid to see if working. DO you have documentation on how to remove solenoid.

Thanks for the update. You can power it for test purposes but I wouldnt do it with the ECM harness connected to the solenoid as you dont want to take chances of backfeeding the ECM causing damage. The magnets should slide off after removing the retaining nut. You can usually swap the magnet with the same from another solenoid for test purposes. Also you can compare resistance readings from the one on your other machine as they should be pretty close in range for a good solenoid.

Dan, Technician

Copy and paste the link I posted in the private window.

I was wrong, the 287C does have the optional diagnostic display
Mode 1
2474-3
2476-3
Mode 2
2474-3
2476-3
490-3
2687-8
2688-8
2685-8
600-3
Mode 3
E875-2
Mode 4
E568-2
E570-2
E875-2
E875-1
E360-2
E361-3
E391-1
Mode 5(###) ###-####

Wow there are a lot of codes. Let me see what these are.

Look closely into this one:

2474-3 Troubleshooting.

This diagnostic is associated with the forward-rearward location for the Position Sensor. The sensor provides an input signal to the ECM. This diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM determines that the voltage of the signal is above normal.

The position sensor is a PWM sensor that operates at a frequency of approximately 500 ± 80 Hz. The duty cycle of the signal will vary. The signal will vary approximately 20% at the joystick in the full rearward position. The signal will vary by approximately 80% at the joystick in the full forward position. When the joystick is in the center position, the duty cycle will be approximately 50%.

The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed:

• The sensor for the power supply circuit is open.

• The sensor for the return circuit is open.

• The signal circuit is open.

• The signal circuit is shorted to a voltage source.

• The sensor has failed.

• The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

Before performing this procedure, inspect the harness connectors that are involved in the circuit. Poor connections can often be the cause of a problem in an electrical circuit. Verify that all of the connections in the circuit are clean. Verify that all of the connections in the circuit are secure. Verify that all of the connections in the circuit are in good condition. If a problem with a connection is found, correct the problem and verify that this diagnostic code is active before performing this procedure.

Note: The following test procedure may create other diagnostic codes. Ignore these created diagnostic codes and clear the diagnostic codes when the problem has been corrected. Verify that CID 2474 FMI 03 is active before performing this procedure.

System Response:

The diagnostic will generate a level 2 warning. The machine will be brought to a stop. The park brake will be engaged and will remain engaged until the diagnostic has been cleared and the hystat lever has been returned to the neutral position.

Test Step 1. CHECK THE SENSOR POWER SUPPLY

1. Turn the key start switch to the ON position.

1. At the harness connector for the left joystick, insert 7X-1710 Multimeter Probes along the contact for the power supply 1 (wire 126-PK) and along ground contact 2 (wire 203-BK). Do not disconnect the machine harness from the connector for the joystick.

1. Measure the (12 VDC) battery voltage of the sensor power supply.

Expected Result:

The (12 VDC) battery voltage measurement is available.

Results:

• OK - The (12 VDC) battery measurement is correct. Proceed to Test Step 2.

• NOT OK - The measurement is not correct.

Repair: Either the wire for the sensor ground in the circuit 203-BK or the supply wire 126-PK has a bad connection or an open in the machine harness. Refer to the Electrical System Schematic. Examine all of the connectors that are in the circuit. Verify that all circuit connections are clean. Verify that all circuit connections are secure. Verify that all circuit connections are in good condition. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 2. CHECK FOR AN OPEN IN THE SIGNAL CIRCUIT

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and turn the key start switch to the OFF position.

1. Disconnect the machine harness connector at the left joystick. At the harness connector for the joystick, place a jumper wire between the contact for the sensor return (wire 203-BK) and the signal contact (wire E848-GN) .

1. Disconnect machine harness connectors J1 and J2 from the Machine ECM.

1. At the harness connector for the Machine ECM, measure the resistance from return contact J1-13 (wire 203-BK) to signal contact J2-33 (wire E848-GN).

Expected Result:

The resistance measurement is less than 5 ohms.

Results:

• OK - The resistance measurement is less than 5 ohms. The sensor circuit is not open. Proceed to Test Step 3.

• NOT OK - The resistance measurement is greater than 5 ohms. There is an open or a bad connection in the signal circuit.

Repair: Refer to the complete Electrical System Schematic for the machine. Check all of the connectors that are in the sensor signal circuit. Ensure that all connections are clean. Ensure that all connections are secure. Ensure that all connections are in good condition. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 3. CHECK THE SIGNAL CIRCUIT FOR A SHORT

The key start switch remains in the OFF position.

1. Remove the jumper wire that was installed in the last step.

1. Disconnect the J1 and the J2 connectors from the Machine ECM.

1. At the J2 machine harness connector for the Machine ECM, measure the resistance from the sensor signal contact J2-33 (wire E848-GN) to all of the other J1 and J2 contacts that are used for the Machine ECM.

Expected Result:

Each resistance measurement is greater than 5000 ohms.

Results:

• OK - Each resistance measurement is greater than 5000 ohms. The signal circuit is not shorted. Proceed to Test Step 4.

• NOT OK - A resistance measurement is less than 5000 ohms.

Repair: There is a short in the machine harness. The short is between the signal circuit and the circuit with the low resistance measurement. Repair the machine harness or replace the machine harness.

STOP

Test Step 4. CHECK THE SIGNAL AT THE SENSOR

1. Reconnect the machine harness connectors to the ECM. Reconnect the machine harness connector to the sensor.

1. Perform the following procedure to the left joystick. On the left joystick, insert 7X-1710 Multimeter Probes along the sensor signal contact 5 and the ground contact 2.

1. Reconnect the negative battery cable and turn the key start switch to the ON position.

1. Measure the duty cycle of the joystick at the connector. the connector is located at the sensor on the contacts 5 and 2. Move the joystick through the full range of the sensor that is described at the beginning of this procedure.

Expected Result:

The duty cycle of the Left Joystick for the Forward and Rearward sensor is correct according to the description at the beginning of this procedure.

Results:

• OK - The duty cycle of the sensor is correct. The sensor is not the cause of the problem. Reconnect the signal wire and the socket in the machine harness connector for the joystick. Proceed to Test Step 5.

• NOT OK - The duty cycle of the sensor is NOT correct according to the description at the beginning of this procedure. The sensor has failed.

Repair: The sensor for this operation is faulty. Replace the assembly for the left joystick. After replacement of the joystick, verify that the operation of the new joystick is correct before operating the machine.

STOP

Test Step 5. CHECK THE STATUS OF THE DIAGNOSTIC CODE

1. Inspect the harness connectors. Clean the harness contacts of the harness connectors and check the wires for damage to the insulation that is caused by excessive heat, corrosion, or chafing.

1. Perform a 45 N (10 lb) pull test on each of the wires that are associated with the sensor circuit.

1. Reconnect all harness connectors. Make sure that the connectors are fully seated. Make sure that the clips for each connector are completely fastened.

1. Operate the machine.

1. Determine if the CID 2474 FMI 03 diagnostic code is active.

Expected Result:

The CID 2474 FMI 03 diagnostic code is not active.

Results:

2476-3 Troubleshooting:

• OK - The CID 2474 FMI 03 diagnostic code is not active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time. The initial diagnostic code was probably caused by a poor connection or a short at one of the connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal operation.STOP

• NOT OK - The CID 2474 FMI 03 diagnostic code is active. The diagnostic code has not been corrected.

Repair: It is unlikely that the ECM has failed. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. If the cause of the diagnostic code is not found, contact your dealership's Technical Communicator for possible consultation with Caterpillar. This consultation may greatly reduce repair time. If the ECM requires replacement, refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace"

STOP

This diagnostic is associated with the Left Joystick Left/Right Position Sensor. The sensor provides an input signal to the ECM. This diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM determines that the voltage of the signal is above normal.

The sensor for the power supply circuit is open.

The sensor for the return circuit is open.

The signal circuit is open.

The signal circuit is shorted to a voltage source.

The sensor has failed.

The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

Expected Result:

The CID 2476 FMI 03 diagnostic code is not active.

Results:

Expected Result:

Results:

Expected Result:

Results:

Expected Result:

Results:

Expected Result:

Results:

Note: The following test procedure may create other diagnostic codes. Ignore these created diagnostic codes and clear the diagnostic codes when the problem has been corrected. Verify that CID 2476 FMI 03 is active before performing this procedure.

System Response:

• OK - The CID 2476 FMI 03 diagnostic code is not active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time. The initial diagnostic code was probably caused by a poor connection or a short at one of the connectors that was disconnected and reconnected. Resume normal operation.STOP

• NOT OK - The CID 2476 FMI 03 diagnostic code is active. The diagnostic code has not been corrected.

STOP

• Determine if the CID 2476 FMI 03 diagnostic code is active.
  • Operate the machine.
  • Turn the key start switch to the ON position.
  • Reconnect all harness connectors. Make sure that the connectors are fully seated. Make sure that the clips for each connector are completely fastened.
  • Perform a 45 N (10 lb) pull test on each of the wires that are associated with the sensor circuit.
  • Inspect the harness connectors. Clean the harness contacts of the harness connectors and check the wires for damage to the insulation that is caused by excessive heat, corrosion, or chafing.

Repair: The sensor for this operation is faulty. Replace the assembly for the Left joystick. After replacement of the joystick, verify that the operation of the new joystick is correct before operating the machine.

STOP

• Measure the duty cycle of the joystick at the connector. the connector is located at the sensor on the contacts 5 and 2. Move the joystick through the full range of the sensor that is described at the beginning of this procedure.
  • Reconnect the negative battery cable and turn the key start switch to the ON position.
  • Perform the following procedure to the Left joystick. , On the Left joystick, insert 7X-1710 Multimeter Probes along the sensor signal contact 5 and the ground contact 2.
  • Reconnect the machine harness connectors to the ECM. Reconnect the machine harness connector to the sensor.

STOP

• At the J2 machine harness connector for the Machine ECM, measure the resistance from the sensor signal contact J2-34 (wire E847-GY) to all of the other J1 and J2 contacts that are used for the Machine ECM.
  • Disconnect the J1 and the J2 connectors from the Machine ECM.
  • Remove the jumper wire that was installed in the last step.

STOP

• At the harness connector for the Machine ECM, measure the resistance from return contact J1-13 (wire 203-BK) to signal contact J2-34 (wire E847-GY).
  • Disconnect machine harness connectors J1 and J2 from the Machine ECM.
  • Disconnect the machine harness connector at the Left joystick. At the harness connector for the joystick, place a jumper wire between the contact for the sensor return (wire 203-BK) and the signal contact (wire E847-GY) .
  • Disconnect the negative battery cable and turn the key start switch to the OFF position.

STOP

• Measure the (12 VDC) battery voltage of the sensor power supply.
  • At the harness connector for the left joystick, insert 7X-1710 Multimeter Probes along the contact for the power supply 1 (wire 126-PK) and along ground contact 2 (wire 203-BK). Do not disconnect the machine harness from the connector for the joystick.
  • Turn the key start switch to the ON position

Mode 5 is the software calibration description.

p>

run through this troubleshooting guide and as you can see this will likely isolate the parking brake issue.