catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

Cat masterech this is for you 330C DKY01249 i have a few?

Customer Question

Cat masterech this is for you 330C DKY01249 i have a few ? regurading functions and so on . Boom rasies very slow same with bucket and stick also tracking . no codes on HYD Side or the C9 side filters are all new SOS is good i do have the suction line is n good also haveing a problem with the return filtrt housing there is oil up at the top i resealed the shell with the service kit someone before this landed in my lap was in there . also mainreleaf is to spec4950 psi and boom bucket is to spec to.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 months ago.

I just got in and I saw your post on the old question.

Does the engine stall or become weak under load?

Is the hydraulic temperature high?

Have you tested pilot pressures?

Do you know how to perform the sweep test on the PRV solenoid?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Oil temp is good Eng does not stall an speed is good No i have not tested pilet press . PRV sweep test is that doen ethew ET

It can be done in ET or through the monitor. You will need a gauge to watch the PRV pressure while performing the test too.

Check pilot pressure first as it is the source for the PRV powershift pressure.

No DERATE or logged events codes?

How is the engine atmospheric pressure sensor working? (should be near 15 psi at sea level)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no derate codes at all yes atmos is good i stock all the sensores for the Cp on my TRK lol
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
nothing looged
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also suction line is NG its sucking Air also The return filter shell maybe NG i took the cover off and ther was alot of oill up there i have never seen that before
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pilet press i will check slow moveing may be a flow problem if pilt is low and not shifting the spooll all the way

I have recently had issues with a low reading atmospheric sensor that caused low power and had two 330D models that keep showing high exhaust temperatures due to harness and sensor problems. The engine pressure sensor harness is very cheap (for CAT) and I would recommend replacing it if you find any strange readings on the pressure sensors.

Definitely, fix the suction hose, aerated oil will make the machine weak. The filter housing could be leaking but, I have also found PM techs not removing the canister and just popping off the top in the housing. This will cause the oil to overflow when they install a new filter and fill the housing with oil.

If the filter and oil are clean, put a vacuum on the tank then open the filter canister and pull all the oil out of it. Install the cap then twist out the canister to clean the housing. (Less oil to deal with.)

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i removed the enitie can and resealed I always do and keep the kits on the trk. after I diid that I rand the unit and desided to take a look and took of cover and there was oil agei
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I always put a vac trans duscer on hyd tank

Ok, sounds like you are on top of it.

If you do not find any issues when testing, download a product status report and upload it here so I can see the rest of the machine operations.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok I will but back to atomisphiric press sensor have you seen them act up with out setting off an code ?
and is a config for and elevation setting I think ther is correct me if I am wrong

The atmospheric sensor is the altitude setting and yes it is common for one to stop working and not set a code. The ECM will see a value that is in the normal range and think it is ok. Watch it change as the engine warms (you may only see a tenth of a pound change) or just connect a new one to the harness and leave it open to the air. I have seen some plugged with dirt too. it is recommended you never apply air pressure to one as it is easily damaged.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
all of the above has checked out ok I am stumped

Did you download a product status report?

Did you the sweep test vary the pressures the same as the gauge was showing? (Value shown on display is only a calculation, no pressure sensor is reporting this value.)

If you hold the bucket close during the sweep test, could the engine carry the full load or did it stall during the sweep test?

Have you tried calibration the PRV?

Have you tried removing the Negative Flow line from the pump control to see if it would effect the operation?

Does this machine always perform like this or does it happen randomly after hours of operating?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The prv is calabrated and suucsefull which You do nor do phone calls Right

Sorry, I am not setup for phone calls.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
today we ran and at one point it did perform correctly . i noitced if i start out with the eng speed at ^ and move up to 1o every thing works perfect . but now i have a bigger problem i changed the suction line and while it was i had the elbow off the pump tp clean it and replace the oring when i reinstalled it and followed the air purge proceadure i left a f**king rag in the tube and the pump chewed it up and no i dont no what to do and i lost one track

It sounds like you may have an issue with the return flow check valve or oil cooler bypass valve. One could be causing a restriction back to the tank, slowing the system down.

I have seen some return flow check valves fail.

As for the rag issue, the pump may survive the rag but, it would be best to have it rebuilt. No way to tell how much might get into the control head and servos.

Same with the main control valve, it may be contained in the travel sections and straight travel valve as that is where the oil enters the main control valve. Since the valve has a parallel passage, the rag could make it to any valve section.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it possible for a biepassing cyl cause the symptoms ?

It would only slow that one circuit and you would have a drifting issue with that circuit as well.

It would not cause any other control to slow.

Low pilot pressure would slow the machine but, the joysticks would feel sluggish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Return flow ck valve is the the one on the return filter houseing ?

The return flow check valve is attached to the outlet of the main control valve. The line then goes toward the oil cooler but, passes through the oil cooler bypass valve first then into the oil cooler. Once the flow exits the cooler or bypass, it then flows to the return filter and into the tank.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If there was a restriction the hyd oilb would be getting hot correct ?

Yes, if they continue to use the machine at high speed, the oil would get hot.

If they are reducing engine speed or stopping the machine often, they might not heat the oil as much.

The failure of the check valve on one machine was due to it coming apart. The other failure I saw was a rag stuck in the valve causing it to stick.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now are you associating check valve and cooler bypass valve with my original issue or just my rookie mistake with the rag ?
No, I'm just saying it is a possibility. I was told the rag got in the other machine when the radiator was removed for repairs.
Is it possible someone else worked on this machine in the past?
Think about the timeline this issue began, did some other problem effect the operation? We're any changes made to the machine before this trouble started?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The left track and swing share a pump correct ?
left track, stick and swing. Then right track, boom, bucket and auxiliary are on the other pump.
Of course stick and boom have special shared circuits to provide flow from both pumps. (Stick II spool and Boom II spool.)
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you think peaces of the rag made to the left travel moter and the swing moter ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did find some smaller peaces in the return filter . So i will also need to check cooler Bipass and return ck valve . Now keep in mind the pumpdid not get the entire rag its a white cotton rag 20×20 i would say 6x6 peace got in based on what i removed from suction port.
I doubt the travel motor would have anything in it unless the machine was moved. I assumed as soon as the rag was remembered, you shutdown the machine. The swing motor is more likely to have some in it. As you know, the options are to fix anything that acts up later or rebuild everything.
CAT says even a single piece of rag fiber can cause issues and they recommended dealers use paper towels over cloth.
I am still not sure about the cause of the original failure.
Did one side track different before? Or were both sides slow? What are the cycle times of the implements?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Two thing i would like to keep this Qust open until i get the pump back and in the macine . alos came you give me a quick over veiw on what a wiggle test is and how to interpet the finding s
Expert:  catmastertech replied 1 month ago.

I have no problem with that but, the site might let the question go dead if no responses are seen in a few days.

A wiggle test is useful to locate intermittent connections. Once you find the group with the sensor or circuit you want to test, start the test and place your speaker volume on high. I even use an external speaker when the area is loud. If you wiggle the wires and the value changes, the alarm will sound. Restart the test to pinpoint the exact location or connector that is causing the intermittent issue.