Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My Ford 555-D backhoe/loader engages well in forward and…

My Ford 555-D backhoe/loader engages...
My Ford 555-D backhoe/loader engages well in forward and reverse upon start-up with no slippage under power. As it warms up it seems to go in neutral when I let up on the power. Then as I apply power, it engages after a few seconds. Not slowly, but solidly with a jerk. I just drained the tranny and changed the filter. I read somewhere about a p/u screen that can get clogged? Where is it? Is it accessible?
5/12/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

There is no other pickup screen, just the return oil filter. It sounds like the pressures are dropping when the transmission warms up and does not have the pressure to keep the clutches engaged. There should be a pressure test ran, to see if pressures are o cold and hot. Should be in the 180 psi range. With little change from cold to hot. If pressures are dropping, likley the front pump in the transmission is worn and the pump and transmission rebuilt! See link below. you may want to check the two valves and springs in the lower housing, just to be sure there is no broken spring.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician