catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

I have a D4 cat dozer 1964 model. How do I remove the

Customer Question

I have a D4 cat dozer 1964 model. How do I remove the cylinder from the adjuster? do I need to release the track and move the idle wheel forward? do I need to remove the spring?
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: It is an 85A429 model
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't have the serial number at the moment. No nothing else thanks
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 5 months ago.

Yes, the track must be separated first and then the idler pulled forward. The spring does not need removal and the mounting bolts should not be touched.

See the link to view some instructions that will help you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8Gc4s_tr2Lzc3IxN0lwVEN3cHc

If you have a lap-link, it will appear solid when compared to the side view of the other links. You only need to remove the bolts to separate the track for this version.

If you do not have a lap-link, you will need to locate the master pin and drive it out. It has a larger drill mark in the center of the pin as compared to the regular pins.

Heating the links helps loosen the grip when driving out the pin. Or, you can have your dealer coming and use a portable track press and push the pin out.