Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Great response last year on R&R an idler on my 95 Samsung…

Great response last year on...
Great response last year on R&R an idler on my 95 Samsung SE130LCM-2 excavator without removing tracks. Worked great. Would like to resolve a hydraulic problem. When bucket is suspended and curled, it wobbles or appears to be loose as if pressure not holding. Not sure if this is called drift, but know something is wrong. No signs of any external cylinder leaking. Where do I start looking? Could the issue be a leaking holding valve, check valve or shock relief valve. Have service manuals, but don't see any valves I want to touch without a plan.
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/6/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi, It's Dan. Is the rod moving in the cylinder barrel in and out when this is happening or is the hydraulic rod stationary and the bucket is wobbling in the pin connections at the hinge points? If so this would mean you have worn pins and bushings that would need to be replaced and shims can be used to tighten up side to side play in the linkage and bucket. However any connection or bore without a bushing will need to be built up with eld and line bored by a machinist. Let me know.

I replaced bushings and pins within the last 150 hrs. There is still a little slop, but this is definitely a cylinder problem. The most dramatic vertical movement is when the arm is fully extended and the bucket is curled into the thumb. If I allow the bucket to slam into the stop and thumb, the bucket bounces back and forth 2-6 inches up and down. I watch both the bucket and yoke connectors and observe them both moving. If I uncurl the bucket away from the stops and tap the curl control sharply. it triggers the same affect. Naturally, I don't try to force the movement to avoid damage or slam into the thumb or stop. Definitely in the cylinder.

That sounds like the cylinder piston nut has backed off. Try putting the teeth into the ground and then slowly move the machine forward and back just enough to verify the rod id moving without using the bucket controls... Let me know

Good call-would not have believed it. Help showed up and I had him wiggle curl control at both on and above ground. Problem is the pin and bushings at the rod end as well as the two yokes look to be wallered out some. . Looks a lot different up close than from in the cab. Will remove and inspect. Glad it was something in the bucket connection rather than the hydraulics.

Thanks for the update. The bored side links get replaced since there is no bushings but to buy more time if budget is an issue you can tighten those up with some beads of weld and grind to fit the new pins. The others you should replace the bushings and pins. Grab some shims different thicknesses to tighten up any side movement.

Dan, Technician