Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

2008 bobcat 442 excavator. push both steer lever forward and…

Customer Question
2008 bobcat 442 excavator...

2008 bobcat 442 excavator. push both steer lever forward and it moves forward. pull both levers back and it move back. push one lever forward and pull one lever back and the machine lock down.. what the problem ?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Ser.###-##-####

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Swivel joint as been rebuilt ...all lines are in correct place

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
4/20/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. If the swivel is good then either the drives are getting weaker from age and wear or the pump flow and pressures are off. Check the filter for fine metal/debris indicating a component or pump issue and if clean check for excessive case drain from the drive motors. Pin the track and sprocket to deadhead the drive motor from turning, run a hose from the case drain port into a bucket, engage travel. If it comes out in high volume or pressure that drive is bad. You should have a low volume of oil. Let me know