Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 267b the starter wire and the ignition wire are…

Customer Question
I have a cat...

I have a cat 267b the starter wire and the ignition wire are shorting together and the ignition wire will not power up the lights and gages until the key is turned to crank at that point the machine will start but will shut off whe the key is let go (from crank)

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

ITS A CAT 267B SER #267BJCYC00407

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

I already tested the ignition switch and it tests good

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/11/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Most often the engine fuel shutoff fuse or the wire to the shutoff is broken. Test the fuse first and then check for power to the shutoff solenoid with the key on.

If the fuse is good but, power is still not to the solenoid, the harness has damage to the 110-green wire to the fuel shutoff solenoid.

The light issue is strange, I can only assume the main B relay is not working. First, check the fuse panels with the key on and then off. Only one has power with the key off. If this is the case, then check the main relays. Check all of the relays in the engine bay. The four grouped together are the main relays and the B relay is the second one. I cannot tell which way to determine the exact relay so, you may need to check all of them.