Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

3208 cat no start / stall no fuel to injectors? Have kill…

3208 cat no start /...
3208 cat no start / stall no fuel to injectors ? Have kill solonoid removed ! Can't find hand prime pump ? Not on fuel filter housing ?
4/7/2017
Mechanic: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 5 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.
So the engine just shut off and will not restart? Plus the shutoff solenoid has been removed?
Stalled ! Took off filter ! It was full ! Replaced filter and removed kill solonoid. Turns over ! Will fire if I give it a little ether ! Starting to get some fuel to injectors ! Is there a prime pump somewhere ?
Thanks for the information.
I assume you have no hand primer. If it did you would be able to see it.
It sounds like the fuel system has failed. I see them fail like this a lot.
When the engine cuts off, the filter is full, and the kill solenoid is off. Al that's left is a failed fuel system. It will need to be removed and replaced or rebuilt. I am sorry. I wish I had better news.Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.
Injection pump ?
sir. That is correct.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Would you be kind enough to forward pump r and r instructions please
Sure. Let me get some info together. Be back shortly
Cat Man got her tore down ! cant get timing pin to drop in ? ive rotated engine a couple times ?never mind i got it ! just needed to try again lol !
No problem.
Cat man got new pump installed ! how do i bleed without running batterys dead ?no hand pump
Thanks for the information. Yeah having a priming punk works great. Without one all we can do is crank the engine. Sorry
should i fill pump thru kill solonoid ?
No I would not. I have not ever done that. Not sure if it's a good idea.
which line feeds pump so i can make sure its pushing fuel ? is there a lift pump or electric in tank ?or electric on frame ?
No electric pump. Just follow the fuel lines from the filter. It will lead you to the feed line.
have fuel line off and no fuel to pump when cranking ?fuel filter is full and if i crank it with filter loose it does not overflow ?
The pump should suck the fuel from the tank. Make sure a line is not sucking air.
hey cat man heres the story still need a smidge of help. i pulled the inlet line off the pump and put a hose in a gal of diesel got lines bled and got her running. pulled off hose and gal container and screwed feed line back on. restarted it and it set here at shop and ran for 1.5 hrs. took it for a run and it stalled fuel filter is full pump is empty ? pulled off supply line from filter to pump and pressirized it with shop air no leak in hose ?i am thinking it couldnt be sucking air between tank and filter or filter would be empty right ? so it has to be sucking air on line from filter to pump ? or filter housing ? correct ?^^^[email protected]$##[email protected]%%%^#^^@^%%[email protected][email protected]%^@^^@ LOL
Sorry you are still having trouble. Yes I agree. If filters are full. Not sucking air before filters. I would suspect sucking air after filters.
EVER SEEN A SUPPLY LINE COLLAPSE ON INSIDE FROM SUCTION ?
I have not seen it. But I is possible of the line is weak.
How about filter adaptor/housing ever seen a suck problem there ? im gonna have a new fuel line made in a.m. just thinking forward if that dont work.how would you proceed ?
I have seen a filter housing crack and suck air. I would bypass each one at a time.
hey Cat Man i have replaced all fuel lines front to rear and pulled tank stand pipe and checked it ! i am also replacing hand prime pump which i located under truck beside glass filter on frame rail. anyway i didnt notice which way it goes on does it make any differnce i dont want to install it backwards if that is possible ?
It should only go on one way.
yep one bolt larger than the other ! shes running fixin to drive it prat for me ! lol thanks cat daddy !
You are very welcome my friend. I am happy I could help.
drove it about 1/2 mile and it stalled again. new inj pump new hand primer pump all suction fuel lines replaced. rear glass filter is full front cannister filter is 3/4 full ?it set here idling for a hour ! i raised the idle to 3000 and held it there several times all was well ! i dont get it !
That's very strange. Check to see if the tank vent is plugged. If it is. It will cause a vacuum and starve the engine for fuel.
now that you say that when i loosened filter ( cannister ) i heard a air release sound ? i will check tank vent !
Ok
tank vent is free and clear ( have tank out )
That is very strange. I'm sorry. Not sure what else to check. Seems all has been replaced.