Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 320 excavator. I can't drop the bucket with my…

Customer Question
I have a cat...

I have a cat 320 excavator. I can't drop the bucket with my quick coupler the 5 amp fuse is not blown what is the hyd lock sol relay's job

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Sorry I'm not there right now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Pushing the bucket all the way out and all the way in and flipping the lock open toggle which is how I usually get it off and on

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/26/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

You should curl the bucket all the way in closed and then flip the switch. Apply close pressure again to release the lock and then curl the bucket out to the open position to drop the bucket.

The solenoid is energized to send pressure to the hydraulic retract side and pull the cylinder in. The pressure is from the hydraulic system so, you need to apply pressure to the bucket circuit to increase the system pressure and open the lock cylinder.

The pressure to keep the lock cylinder closed is always present. The solenoid is only to release the pressure and supply it to the opposite side.