Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have old bobcat 743, all electronics have been removed.

Has been running fine for...
I have old bobcat 743, all electronics have been removed. Has been running fine for 2 years. It has hydraulic leaks (drips) at aux attachments.
Problem: lifting arm got very spongey, will lift and carry load, won't apply any down force,
1. Left cylinder is cool to touch, right is warm after 30 mins of work
2. If tilt all the way back or forward on bucket and push down on arms they lift up
What do I fix? Remember all safety equipment has been removed. No seat or arm sensors
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2017
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

One of the bucket cylinders is leaking internally, Bottom out the cylinders in either direction, figure out which hose on the cylinder is pressure in that direction. Remove hose from opposite cylinder end, pressure up the cylinders in same direction, and if oil pours from open hole, that cylinder is the bad one, if it comes from the open hose you removed, i is the opposite cylinder leaking. I think it will be the warm cylinder! Oil leaking inside causing heat.

Good Morning Curtis,
Just to clarify. The bucket has one cylinder, and arms have two. The bucket is not experiencing any issues.
The arms have no down force and are spongy under load. The one bucket cylinder and right arm cylinder are warm after usage and the left arm cylinder is cool.
As I stated before if I max out the bucket ram in either direction and attempt to lower the arm rams the arms go in opposite direction and raise.
I was typing this on my phone yesterday so I just wanted to give extra information. Wanted to weed out a problem in the valve spindle.Thanks Again,
Brad

OK< I thought it was bucket cylinders. Not so. So same test with the boom cylinders. Power it down. Figure out which is the pressure side, and remove the opposite hose and then pressure cylinder and see if either leaks fro open hole or hose. If cylinders check good, then the control valve may have problems.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician