Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 650 deere g model. Direct drive. You can put it in…

Customer Question
I have a 650...

I have a 650 john deere g model. Direct drive. You can put it in any forward gear and it won't engage into gear until the steering levers are pulled baback and let go. While holding the levers back u can actually hear the pump picking up the oil to engage the transmission. Reverse works fine

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

I have a 650g model direct drive.you can put it in any forward gear and it won't engage into gear until the steering levers are pulled back and then released.while holding the levers back u can actually hear the pump picking up the oil to engage the forward gears. Reverse works fine

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Reverse works fine. Once engages it is fine until taken out of gear or you try to up or downshiftOnce the levers are pulled back u can hear the pump pick up the oil then you let go of levers and it is ready to pull.
2/14/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Are you getting any fault or warning indicators on the display panel? Check the oil level, condition and for burnt smell and discoloration that would indicate an internal problem/failure occurring. Also check inside the filter and suction screen for fine metal/debris that would also flag a pump or component failure occurring. If clean the next step will be to have the pressures checked and compared to OEM specs to isolate this further. Let me know