Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Mr cat man i got an issue with a 950 g wheel loader. we

Customer Question
hey there mr cat man...
hey there mr cat man i got an issue with a 950 g wheel loader. we rebuilt the engine and loader was running good everything was fine then just stopped running. we took a look at the fuel system and turned out the pump was bad so we replaced the pump now we can not get it to start it cranks we pulled the turbo plugged the lines and still no start we throw diesel at it and still no start just cranks and black smoke coming out of the exhaust here is the engine serial number 55K07384 i dont know
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
i have changed the batteries and the starter sounded weak so we replaced that also... the injectors are new and the head is new also now they were left out i dont know if that might have contaminated the injectors possible plugged them up but it was running fine
2/10/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Did you set the control rack and timing dimensions for the injectors?

Did you use the CAT tooling?

What is the fuel pressure to the head?

Is you return line free of air in the fuel?

i was able to set the injector height at this time our control rack adjustment tools seemed to have grown legs and we are unable to find them...will the control rack being out of adjustment no let it start?im going to put a gauge on the line that goes to the back of the head and check for fuel pressure. what should it ready more or less?we have oil pressure i get oil at the top of the rocker levers and i get fuel returning while cranking on the return line. i have pressurize the diesel tank on the return line fitting to push fuel thru the system and still nothing

You must have at least 9 psi for starting. Full speed pressure is average about 50 psi. If you pinchoff return line, the pump will max out about 80 psi.

Did you wire the starter correctly?

Do you have the power to the solenoid correct?

Have you tried loosening the shutoff solenoid to see if the engine will start?

I assume the rack is moving freely from stop to full open without "ANY" resistance?

Sorry, that needed editing.

Can you update your status on this problem?

Were my answers helpful?

Do you need further assistance?