Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 330c excavator. While running machine at idle…

Customer Question
I have a cat 330c...
I have a cat 330c excavator. While running machine at idle everything works properly. At full throttle the left track does not move and the swing brake starts trying to grab. The hydraulic oil is overheating as well. The swing motor is new and the rotary manifold was built today. Still doing the same thing. Any ideas?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
The serial number for this machine is gkx00218 it is a 330CL
2/9/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

This problem sounds like your pump control head is sticking and is possibly damaged.

One half of the pump is the supply for the swing and left track. The other half supplies the boom, half of the stick flow, bucket and right track.

It also supplies half flow for the stick (both directions) and the boom up and auxiliary circuit.

I would suspect your boom up is slower and the stick is slower too.

Most likely, the pump will need rebuilding.

Have you seen any metal in the filters?

Makes sense. Is there a way to verify this without pulling the pumps? A couple pieces in the return filter maybe copper or brass but that's the only one I have checked I need to take a look at the case drain and see what it looks like.

Yes, check the case drain and the pilot filter. The oil through the pump supplies the pilot filter, it is possible for a failing pump to push metal into the pilot pump and filter.

Pump control heads have many small parts in them and it is much better for the pump shop to perform the flow setups than try to do it in the field.

They have a control arm that operates the pump servo and if this is missed or installed wrong, more damage can happen to the pump.

Hopefully you have caught it early and the return filter did not open the bypass. (This should turn on a warning light but, it might not if the oil is cold.)

You should still check the tank once you drain the oil.

This pump has a single control solenoid that operates both pump control heads. If this was an issue the whole machine would be very weak.

I cannot imagine any other issue causing this without having other issue with this machine. (such as an earlier failure in a valve or cylinder.

But why is the machine working fine at idle? It only messes up when you raise the rpm from idle. Is there anything else I can do to verify the pump is bad other than checking the tank and filters?I really appreciate your time and detail on this, I have fought it for a couple of days now.

You could check the pump pressures but, that will tell you what you are already feeling with the controls.

At low speed the solenoid pressure is higher to prevent the pump stalling the engine. At higher speed, the controller will allow the solenoid to lower it pressure resulting in higher pump output.

You could try the back-up mode switch to see if the controls change. You could disconnect the solenoid to see if the load will stall the engine at low idle or high idle.

If you are familiar with the negative flow (signal) lines, you could disconnect the lines and plug the hoses leaving the pump ports open. This will remove the negative flow signal to the pump control. (It is very rare to have any issue with the negative flow reliefs.)

Ok great. Which solenoid is it that I need to unhook and do you know its location?

Its the one on the pump. Just unplug the wires. This should stall the engine when you load the pumps.

The pump control solenoid. I

Yes, CAT calls it the PRV Proportional Reducing Valve solenoid.

Ok thanks. I will be back on it in the morning and I will let you know what I find. Thanks again for your time.

I only work here at nights. I am out in the field during the day. If this is a problem I will OPT-OUT of the question .

That's not a problem at all, stay with me and let's figure this thing out. More than likely the solenoid is fine because half the machine works like it should but I will unplug it to be sure and check the filters to see what I can find and I will get back with you tomorrow night.

Will do, glad I could help. If you have more questions, hold off on the rating. You may get some automatic emails, but, it will not effect the question.

Please update me on the status of this problem.

Do you need further help?

If not, please remember to rate my answers to close this question. I can still be contacted after rating if you do need more help.