Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Mustang mtl16 will start and operate but will not shutoff so…

Mustang mtl16 will start...

Mustang mtl16 will start and operate but will not shutoff so customer eliminated fuel shutoff installed a cable to shutoff engine I installed new shutoff customer lost old one but still will not shot off I have no voltage at stop motor

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Mustang MTL 16 sn#21300990

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should be it

1/24/2017
Mechanic: Wayne, Journeyman replied 5 years ago
Wayne, Journeyman

Hi i'm Wayne

I will help you with this

does the shut off solenoid loose power when key turned of ?

No does not have power with key on or off

Thank you for that

can you give me the P/N of the solenoid ,Please

Its a yanmar part # 129900-66790
The shutoff is actually a small motor with an arm that pulls the fuel shutoff lever

HI

Hi I was hoping for a Pic , but none available

is it a solenoid that is mounted outside the pump to linkage

or does it screw into the top

Mounted behind with linkage

Thank you for that

then that is the fuel rack sticking in the pump

That is why the guy may have used a cable

rather then removing the pump and having it fixed

I hope this helped you

Hi If this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

That is the only way I get credit for the question

If you need more info use the INFO button

Not the Poor/Bad service

OK was hoping to get some electrical advice, I'm positive we have a electrical fault because the loader shuts off fine with manually moving the stop lever, as it moves freely

Hi

check the voltage at the solenoid with key off

and then key on

let me know

There is no voltage with key on or off, its set up different than a normal fuel shutoff solenoid

OK Thank you

then it runs off the low oil pressure switch

start it and let me know voltage

Have no voltage at at either of the wires (3) wire plug also idiot lights in dash go off after starting
Do you have a wiring diagram for this loader
Guess looks like i'm stuck to figure it out by myself

HI

Sorry for the delay

Had to p?u grand kids from school

so with it running you have no voltage at the plug

How is it starting then, the solenoid pushes the lever to start

Fuel rail is always on until pulled to off by the stop motor
Not sure what's going on , its set up way different than fuel solenoids its turns off using voltage and turns on with voltage, that's why the customer unhooked linkage and fastened cable to shutoff arm, as it always spring returns to run position. So not sure if we have component fault, my wiring looks good

HI

I am going to opt out of this and send to

another expert that works on these

I worked on mega Yanmar engines, never seen this type of set up

Don't reply or rate me, locks question back to me

Sorry could not help

Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

No voltage, at solenoid, so trace the wires back by color, and I think you will find it goes to a relay. I don't have a wiring diagram, only be in the Mustang service manual. but typically the fuel shutoff will be powered through a relay.

Does go to a relay relay does turn on with key but no voltage at any of the wires that go to stop motor. Its a 5 wire relay, swapped with other relays ( loader has 4)Does go to a relay relay does turn on with key but no voltage at any of the wires that go to stop motor. Its a 5 wire relay, swapped with other relays ( loader has 4) may be another component fault

Does the relay have power to it? Does the relay close when stop is selected?

Relay does have voltage to close contacts but not sure if wires break off to a different component from relay to stop solenoidThat should have said stop motor not solenoid

Yes, stop motor.! Should be nothing betwen relay and stop motor.

Swapping relays should change something but it didn't. is there other components that feed inputs to relay?

Stop switch has to close relay, and relay has to work the stop motor. You say relay closing? Maybe no power to the output, is relay grounded, The fifth wire should be ground wire.

Will check few things in the morning maybe see bout getting wiring diagram from mustang, thanks for info

Ok, I'm thinking relay is not sending voltage and it can be ground issue.

There are actually 2 wires that are ground wires and both show continuty to ground, I'm thinking there's got to b another component somewhere that may also feed the relay

I doubt it, but with a wiring diagram, you will know for sure. I can't see them making it any more complicated, other than switch, relay, stop motor.

Not sure if they have the safety shutdown tied in somehow that it may send inputs to it

OK> I suppose it is possible but either should kill engine, and it would not block standard shutdown.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician