Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 1999 872 bobcat turbo my lift arms and bucket

cylinders are leaking bad i...
i have a 1999 872 bobcat turbo my lift arms and bucket cylinders are leaking bad i plan to remove the cylinders to rebuild can i plug the lines or run bypass hoses so i can still move it around thks mhj
1/16/2017
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I am sorry no one has helped you earlier. I am not experienced with BOBCAT machines but, your question is concerning basic hydraulics.

Yes, you can remove the cylinders and still move the machine. Each line to the cylinders is protected with relief valves in case of excess pressure.

Before loosening any line, be certain no weight is on them. With the engine off move the controls to release the pressure in the lines. Also loosen the tank cap to release any pressure in the hydraulic tank.

Block each line with a METAL plug to prevent pressure or leaks coming from the lines. If you cap the cylinders you can also prevent a mess if you are hauling them to a repair shop.

When you return to install the cylinders, be sure to release the pressure as you did before. The lines can hold pressure just as the cylinders can.

If the lines or fittings have O-ring seals, replace them with new ones before connecting the lines to ensure a leak proof connection.

If I can help you further with this, please let me know.

Regards,

CATMASTERTECH

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician