Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

We have a 320 L cat excavator I was wonder how hard it is to…

Good morning Sir, Mechanic's...

Good morning Sir,

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

We have a 320 L cat excavator I was wonder how hard it is to swich from back hoe to excavator pattern

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Will do my self and we just unloaded off the trailer yesterday

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

No wondering if its simple, switch/ lever or if we need to switch a bunch of hoses

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/12/2017
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to help. If your machine doesnt have a pattern change valve behind the cab then you will swap the pilot lines at the pilot manifold.

Some machines come factory with a diverted valve to swap the controls by the use of that valve switching it to either ISO or JD(Usually in excavators). In cases where there is not a factory installed valve you would need to trace and mark your Pilot hoses that come from your joystick/pilot control valve that actuates the functions you want to swap. Once you trace the hoses from each circuit, mark them and identify them, you would then swap those lines accordingly to the functions you are changing. You make the swap on the pilot side of the circuit in most cases(Pilot pressure is the pressure that is actuated by your hand/foot controls, etc. to signal the main hydraulic valve to open a spool to perform a specific function). In cases where you have a stacked manual lever style control valve( several valve banks bolted together found on most all backhoe attachments, you would trace out and note each function on that valve and swap the lines coming from the rear of the machine to that valve accordingly. Ok, To safely open the lines in your hydraulic system you need to bleed off the pressure in the system. You do this by first lowering all attachments to the ground (Arm/bucket fully extended and safetly on the ground). With the machine off you work all the control levers in all directions until there is no more movement and no more pressure felt in the circuits. You then crack open the hydraulic cap at the reservior to bleed off any residual pressure in the hydraulic tank. Once you tag and identify each function and the port on the valve the hose is connected too, you will be able to swap the lines accordingly right where it connects to the valve. If you follow the lines from each corrosponding cylinder and whether it extends or retracts the cylinder for its function(Boom up/Boom down and Arm in/Arm out) you just have to swap the lines at the valve accordingly. This procedure is pretty standard on all equipment that does not have a valve to diverter valve to swap the controls from ISO to JD. On excavators, there is a pilot control valve separate from the main control valve thats the easiest place to swap the lines. On most backhoes you can swap the lines right at the base of the boom @ the main valve where you see all the lines connect to the valve from the base of the boom which would be on the high pressure side (Approx 2200 to3500PSI). You swap pilot lines only if your control levers are a separate pilot control valve that would be plumbed with hydraulic hoses into your main valve such as on an excavator. If your control valve is mechanically actuated by levers mounted to or by linkage to the main control valve then there are no pilot lines to swap on this machine, only the main lines at the base of the boom.As long as you bleed the pressure as mentioned above and crack open the fittings slowly, you would just need to catch the remaining oil in a drain pan once you open the lines. I do not know of any manuals other than a few dealerships I have worked at made up some cheat sheets on different machines. Hope this helps

Dan, Technician