Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

1994 new holland skid steer ford engine. Machine was running

Customer Question

Hi 1994 new holland skid steer ford engine. Machine was running fine 2 days ago on the same tank of fuel(now at 3/4 full). Machine was being used this morning(35 degrees) and just up and quit. Towed over to my shed, checked and changed fuel filter and resivoir to the left of it. Resivoir was full of fuel and only a small amount of dirt in the bottom. New fuel filter installed and all filled with diesel fuel. I am using good treated fuel. Machine will crank over but no signs of starting. Is there some kind of shut off soloing that a wire fell off of on these or something odd. This machine does not hAVE HIGH HOUR OR DOES NOT SET OUT IN THE WEATHER?????? Thanks
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: ok
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Model number of the skidsteer? Most of the engines have an electric solenoid on the output section of the injection pump. A singe wire solenoid, that has to have battery voltage when the key is on.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
L785, and yes when the key is on you can go back and pull the wire off of the bottom go the injector pump and hear it click and even see a small arc. I should point out the battery is a Oddessey about a year old and I even put a charger on it so it would crank good after i changed the filter(filled full of diesel. It has never just died like this before. Tomorrow i am going to top off the fuel tank in something goofy is going on. The hose from the tank is visible easily from the side opening.

Do you have fuel coming out the bleed valve on the injection pump if you pump the primer pump?

If you do, loosen the injection lines at the cylinder head, and crank , to see if you have fuel squirting. If just dribbling, the fuel solenoid is not opening.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi back I do not have a manual for this, where is the hand pump located? Also The lift arms are down so I cannot easily get to the lines at the top of the engine. Dark outside, will have to take the info for tomorrow afternoon. Also I am doing this by myself so it is more fun.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I see on the diagram where the primer pump is, too dark now to play.

oK> I will be here tomorrow.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Last night I isolated the fuel tank by using a separate 5 gallon jug. I bled out the filter with the vent on top. I am next going to look into bring to bleed the pump itself, from what I am reading there is at least one zero type fitting on the pump. I am also going to check the electric fuel shut off solenoid, My question about this is if I unscrew it and power it and it works outside of the pump can I reach inside the hole and feel if any thing in amiss?

I doubt the hole is big enough to tell anything by feeling inside. If the solenoid works on external test, it should be opening when internal. It opens a passage for the fuel to flow, no like it moves linkage , as some other versions do.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi back. So this evening I removed the fuel shut off solenoid and tested it by connecting it to the wire and ground and it looks like it is expanding and retracting ok. I checked and made sure I had good fuel flow out of the 9/16" bleeder bolt on top of the canister and reinstalled the bolt. I turned on the key after removing the 5/16" head bleeder screw on the side of the pump about in the middle the pump. If you use the hand pump on top and push it down numerous timesyou do not get any fuel out the bleeder hole. This thing just quit, no warning signs so I would also like to know how the gasket arrangement should be on the fuel filter as there were 3 round gaskets of the same size included with the Wix unit. I currently have one below the filter and one above it. This asks like some goofy thing. No work was done on this recently and I only put about 4 gallons of fuel lately and then I used it a while before putting it away and having lent it out for only an hours worth of work. Operator(experianced) said it just acted like you shut the key off. I was thinking of opening the line from the filter to the pump(center) and see it I have flow to there. Suggestions

Fuel suction comes out of top of the tank. Could the fuel pickup be plugged?

filter seals go like this. I would try a test hose from the primer pup , back into the fuel tank filler, or another fuel container. You are sure there is enough fuel in the tank?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am using a 5 gallon jug of fuel, thinking what you were to eliminate the tank. According to the diagram I will have to add another gasket a #9 above the filter. I am using a hand pump to pressurize from the "tank to the inlet of the bowl reservoir before the filter. If I pull the vent plug I can get fuel to come out of the bleeder vent. When i push on the pump fuel will come out of this vent. Last night I did notice if I open the drain at the bottom of the filter assy. I get a trickle but not a big flow. When i use the hand pump to "pump up" the bowl it does, but what I did notice is the the pump is hard to push pump like you are pushing against pressure when you have the key on and the injection pump bleeder out. No sign of fuel coming out of the bleeder at all. Just like there is something blocking the flo to the pump. That is why i was thinking of opening the line from the side of the injection pump to the filter. When you push the hand pump with the 9/16" bolt on top out you can see it push fuel out of the hole, just when you put the plug back in and take the bleeder on the pump out and have the key on it the hand pump firms up like it has no where to go. I am just working through this at 26 for a high It is a little nippy to play with this all night. :)

I here that!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Too dmn cold!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The motor ran for just a short time then died. Now the bend will not engage all the time so it will need to be taken off and repaired. From what I saw I have to remove the fuel filter to get into all the bolts. Every day it is closer to spring :)

!! Lets hope so! Thanks for reply.