Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Right side track froze, last winter, I let it sit too, left…

Right side track froze...

Right side track froze, last winter, I let it sit too long, left side works

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I'm currently at work and don't have that info, it is a straight 450 crawler loader, back hoe attachment

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have raised it off ground completely and see only a small movement in the final drive to the track

12/17/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. Is this a JD straight 450?Case 450? What is your serial number?

will look in my paper work to get this evening
Thanks

Sounds good. Let me know

john deere 450 crawler
serial number SN15E3M016183T

Thanks for the info. If the right side does not drive you could have stripped splines to the final drive or a fault steering clutch on that side. There is a triangle cover on the top of the final drive case. Remove it and keep track of the shims. See if the pinion under that cover is turning the final drive. Test with the tracks off the ground. Do not lose the shims. If it is not turning pull the pinion and check for stripped splines between the pinion and drive hub and if okay you have failed steering clutches. Let me know

Click this link for the parts catalog. Type your model and use sectional index.

Parts

Final drive link below See Cover # 2

Dan, Technician