Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a question on a 1983 Deere 550 dozer. Do not have any…

Hi, I have a question...
Hi, I have a question on a 1983 John Deere 550 dozer. Do not have any books that go with the dozer, need to know if the hydraulic fluid reservoir (underneath the right side of the tractor saddle box next to my seat) is the reservoir for the drive unit itself as well as the hydraulics for the blade. When I get the dozer on a incline it stops pulling, obviously the fluid level is low.
Thank you in advance, Richard.
12/16/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/T359/T35949_________UN01JAN94.gif

transmission dipstick and filler tube, next to oil filter for transmission. See link above.

Okay, I guess the answer to my question is contained in your statement concerning the "dipstick and Filler Tube". The fluid level is low on the dipstick, was just trying to determine where it was to be filled.

And the fluid that goes into it, is regular tractor hydraulic/transmission fluid?

Yes Hytrans fluid.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Excellent !

Thank you for your help, Richard.

Thank you!