Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

CAT 416 backhoe loader. Older model. Forward/reverse lever…

CAT 416 backhoe loader. Older...
CAT 416 backhoe loader. Older model. Forward/reverse lever on steering column just stopped working. The electric t'mission lockout buttons on shifter and loader bucket handle long ago deactivated. Mechanically the linkage is intact and seems to move the lever on top of transmission as it should. It was working but maybe with hesitation going from forward to reverse. Fluid level in transmission is full. Then restarted engine to load another truck and tractor would not move. One more possibly helpful fact, with F/R lever in F or R, engine running, the floor shifter will shift easily through all gears 1 thru 4. No grinding. Seems like T'mission stuck in neutral.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/16/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

The tractor has a de-clutch valve, used to kick transmission into neutral, when you press button. Usually there is one switch on the hydraulic control valve lever, one on the transmission gear shift, and maybe one onthe floor. If any one of the switches stick, the transmission stays in neutral. See if you can find the switches, or go to the transmission control valve and see if you can find the solenoid and unplug it. I don't have anual on the Cat to show you the parts. Sorry

I told you in the question that the 2 switches and solenoid had been deactivated. Please read the whole question and make some useful comment. You so far have been of NO HELP. Have you ever worked on a CAT backhoe transmission. If not I would respectfully ***** ***** to someone who has had some actually experience in the field and not just reading a manual and responding. Thanks. Roy Duncan

Have a great day Roy! I will let someone else help; My 50 years of experience is not needed here. Maybe some one with more experience can help; I will opt out.

You didn't answer my question about your experience in this field. 50 years of experience, I respect, but it's "not needed here" if it is not applicable to my question. Thank you for forwarding my question hopefully to someone with experience in the field. Roy
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Can you post the complete machine serial number so I can be sure I am looking for the correct information.

Have you checked the pressures, filter or suction screen yet?

The paperwork is at the farm. My memory is that the serial # is 5PC 1994. I will confirm or correct this info in the am. The transmission fluid level is full and the fluid is clear with light yellow amber tint.. clutch was replaced within the last 50 to 100 hours of use. I haven't checked the filter or screen since this current malfunction.

Thanks for the reply. If this is a low serial number as indicated, the neutralizer solenoid is energized to disconnect the transmission and unplugging the connector is enough to prevent power going to the solenoid.

I would begin by testing pump pressure. You will need a 300 psi gauge and some adapters and hose to connect to the transmission pressure taps.

I will attach a file that covers the pressure testing to help you.

Connect to tap B for the pump pressure (on top of transmission where filter is attached) and then we will know if you have a serious failure or something in a valve.

Did you test the pressures?

Is my answer helpful?

Are you still working on this problem?

Please let me know.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician