catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  Field service technician for CAT 19 years.
11546476

I have a CAT 277B skid steer and it will not shut off with

Customer Question

i have a CAT 277B skid steer and it will not shut off with the key. Any ideas?? thanks
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 10 months ago.

Have you checked voltages to the shutoff solenoid?

If you have three wires, you may have a short to battery on one.

You could also have a failed solenoid that is stuck in but, this is not common. It is more common to have one that will not start from a failed solenoid.

Are you having trouble with any other circuits?

Have you had any recent repairs?

Please post the full machine serial number with your reply. CAT has different versions that are separated by the serial numbers.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks - I will check the voltages and get the serial number.

Ok, great. Please note I will be offline all day but I will be back tonight. If this will be an issue, I will OPT-OUT so others may help you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. Here is the information you wanted:1. serial # CAT0277BCMDH052572. THE VOLTAGE AT THE SHUTOFF SOLENOID IS 10.5VDC. THIS IS WITH THE KEY OFF.3. ALSO - WITH THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED AND THE PLUGS ON THE RELAY AND THE SHUTOFF SOLENOID UNPLUGGED - THE RESISTANCE FROM EITHER WIRE TO GROUNG IS 2.3 OMHS (I THINK THIS SHOULD BE AN OPEN CIRCUIT).4. THERE ARE ALSO RED IDICATORS ON FOR THE SEAT BELT AND PARKING BRAKE.ANY IDEAS?THANKS MIKE

YES, HAVING VOLTAGE ON THE SOLENOID WIRE WITH THE KEY OFF IS WRONG. YOU WILL NEED TO DISCONNECT SEVERAL HARNESSES TO TEST THE CIRCUITS.

THE WIRES TO TEST ARE AS FOLLOWS:

110-E2 GREEN WIRE FUEL TO SHUTOFF SOLENOID
110-E14 GREEN WIRE THRU COLD START SWITCH TO G465-E15 PINK WIRE COLDSTART SOLENOID (DISCONNECT THE SWITCH OR THE COLD START SOLENOID, USUALLY UNDER THE FUEL INJECTION PUMP)
BOTH TEES TO 110-E1 GREEN WIRE TO CONNECTOR 19 (ENGINE TO PLATFORM HARNESS)
CONNECTOR 19 TO 110-P58 GREEN WIRE TO TEE 110-P86 & 110-P102 & 110-P98 (ALL GREEN WIRES)
110-P86 IS TO FUEL PUMP RELAY CONNECTOR
110-P102 IS NOT USE BUT GOES TO A CONNECTOR IN THE REAR DOOR FOR AN OPTIONAL STOP LAMP SWITCH.(CONNECTOR 5)
110-P98 IS TO CONNECTOR 15 (CAB HARNESS) AT PIN #2

AT CAB HARNESS CONNECTOR 15 PIN #2 THE GREEN WIRE # IS 110-A39 AND RUNS TO THE BLACK CONNECTOR ON THE FUSE PANEL TO PIN E AND IS TO THE FUEL SHUTOFF SOLENOID FUSE

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE POWER TO THIS WIRE WITH THE KEY OFF.
YOU COULD HAVE DAMAGED HARNESS SHORTED TO POWER AND SENDING CURRENT TO THE WIRE.
START BY REMOVING THE FUSE AND SEE IF YOU HAVE POWER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE HOLDER. IF YOU DO, DISCONNECT THE BLACK CONNECTOR FROM THE FUSE PANEL AND TEST THE FUSE HOLDER AGAIN. IF YOU STILL HAVE POWER, THE SHORT IS IN THE FUSE BLOCK.

AT THIS POINT YOU WILL NEED TO TEST FOR CONTINUITY TO A POWER SOURCE OF THE CONNECTOR.

DISCONNECT THE CAB HARNESS CONNECTOR WITH THE 110-A39 GREEN WIRE AND SEE IF THE CAB HARNESS HAS THE SHORT TO POWER.
CONNECT TO THE GREEN WIRE AND THEN TEST THE WIRE BY CONNECTING TO ALL RED WIRES IN THE CONNECTOR. (RED WIRES ARE NORMALLY BATTERY POWER WIRES)

YOU MAY NEED TO DO THIS TO ALL THE CAB CONNECTORS TO ISOLATE THE SHORT TO POWER.

NEXT, GO TO THE ENGINE CONNECTOR AND DISCONNECT IT. TEST THE GREEN 110-E1 WIRE TO A BATTERY WIRE TO SEE IF THE SHORT IS IN THAT HARNESS.

TO TEST THE PLATFORM HARNESS, LEAVE THE CAB CONNECTORS AND THE ENGINE CONNECTOR OFF AND TEST THE GREEN 110-P98 AT THE ENGINE HARNESS CONNECTOR FOR CONTINUITY TO RED WIRES.

THIS SHOULD POINT YOU TO WHICH HARNESS HAS THE SHORT AND MAYBE YOU CAN LOCATE THE DAMAGE DURING THE TESTING.

AS FAR AS THE INDICATOR LIGHTS, IF NEITHER IS FLASHING, YOU DO NOT HAVE A FAULT. IF EITHER OR BOTH IS FLASHING, LET ME KNOW. THIS WILL NORMALLY INDICATE A FAULT IN THE SAFETY INTERLOCK. IT CAN PREVENT STARTING OR OPERATION BUT, IT WILL NEVER PREVENT SHUTOFF OF THE ENGINE.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE WE ARE ON THE SAME PAGE:I REMOVED THE GREEN WIRE FROM THE SHUTOFF SOLENOID AND THE CONNECTOR ON THE RELAY SUPPLYING POWER TO THE SHUTOFF SOLENOID. THIS SHOULD DISCONNECT ANY POWER TO THE SOLENOID BUT THERE IS STILL 10.5 VDC. DOESN'T THIS MEAN THERE IS A SHORT IN THE GREEN WIRE THAT RUNS FROM THE RELAY TO THE SHUTOFF SOLENOID ONLY? THANKS
NO, IT JUST MEANS THAT CIRCUIT HAS A SHORT. YOU STILL MUST ISOLATE WHICH HARNESS HAS THE SHORT. THE 110 GREEN WIRE IS USED FOR OTHER ITEMS TOO! THAT IS WHY I LISTED ALL THE CONNECTORS AND WIRES.