Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
30244710

Old hy excavator with a 453 I think....smokes kinda bluish

Customer Question

Old hy hoe excavator with a 453 I think....smokes kinda bluish oil pressure fades from 40 to around 15...crankcase filling with diesel...lopes and smoke clears under load sometimes....doesn't get hot though....to what extent should I repair this engine? WHT are the chances of it trainwrecking (broken block, crank, etc.) Can I continue to run it like this?
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 8 months ago.

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

4-53 Detroit diesel, 2 cycle engine? Fuel in the crankcase? Caused buy leaking injector lines or injectors. If you remove the rocker cover and crank engine, you may be able to see the leak. Or you can plug the return line and pressure the inlet line to head, and pressure check to see leak. It needs to be repaired. The diesel in the oil will ruin the bearings and cause crankshaft failure!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I'll try that thanks

My first job was with a Detroit Diesel distributor as a mechanic. Let me know if you need information.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 7 months ago.

I see question is still open, please use the rating system to close the question and get me credit! Thanks.