Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Cat 941 Traxcavator SN 80H983 that I can't get

I have a Cat...

I have a Cat 941 Traxcavator SN 80H983 that I can't get either steering clutch to engage. Can't steer tractor at all. What do I need to do to get these clutches to work. Worked fine when I brought it home. Sat for a couple weeks now both steering levers won't move and brakes are tight.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Caterpillar 941 Serial number 080H00983

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The heavy equipment mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

OK thanks

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

That should do it

11/22/2016
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 5 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I see no one has been able to help you. I would like to assist you with this issue. I don't have experience with this model as it is much older that any of the machines in my area.

I would like to understand a few things better to begin to find the issue here.

The steering clutches are always engaged and the levers are pulled to release the steering clutches. Then the brake pedals can be used to force a sharper turn if needed.

Since you say the brakes are tight, did someone set the parking brake on the brakes?

(Depressing the center pedal and pulling upward on the parking brake control lever engages the parking brake. This engages the pawl with the ratchet preventing the pedal from returning to the released position. Press the pedals and push down on the lever to release the parking lock.)

If the levers have no power assist, is the oil level correct in the transmission and bevel gear housings?

Do the levers move any or is it possible they are frozen in place by rust?

Have you been able to find any issue with the items I suggested?

Please let me know If I can help you further.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician