Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I have a cat d3b serial number 23y02028. i was using it on a

Customer Question
job and all of a...
i have a cat d3b serial number 23y02028. i was using it on a job and all of a sudden the right steering pedal has to pushed all the way to the floor for it to steer. Before that happen both pedals had equal amount of travel (about half way down to steer) But it just happened all of a sudden and it seems to not pull as good on right side now
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: cat d3b serial number 23y02028
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have not looked at linkages or anything yet. just wanted to get a idea whats wrong
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
just wanted to know if anyone has looked at my question
11/10/2016
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry no one has answered your question yet. I work at in the field in the day and answer questions here at night.

If your steering clutch valve is not working, that would cause the tractor to require greater effort to "force" a turn.

What I see the most often is the small roller bearing fails on the valve stem and the cam cannot open the valve enough to release the steering clutch.

You must never adjust the linkages, all adjustment is done to the brake band only. If a pedal is not working, something is worn out.

I would remove the right valve and replace the stem bearing. Also, replace the actuating cam bearing and its shaft if they are worn.

That should get you back to normal operation.

The only trick to this repair is to disassemble the valve and pull out the small roll pin that acts as a guide for the stem. This will allow you to turn the stem and knock out the roller bearing pin. Note: these are small parts and a little wear will cause a lot of trouble.

If you need further help, please let me know.

Thanks,

catmastertech

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Needle bearing in cam is shot but cam on left side sits a good bit higher on left side than it does the right

Have you installed a new bearing and shaft?

The steering clutch rod lengths are below.

Make adjustment to the length of the rods so there is a clearance of .029 ± .029 in. (0.75 ± 0.75 mm) between cam (10) and the roller on the end of the valve group.

I would still replace the roller bearing and pin in the end of the steering valve stem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Roller bearing on valve stim is good no play spins free only part that was wore out is bearing in cam and when I took pin out all needle bearings fell out. You don't know off the top of your head what that valve assembly cost do you

Not for certain but, I think they are around $700 new from CAT.

Just checked, it now cost $1037

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can valve be rebuilt

Yes, the parts are still available for most machines. Some very old units are different from yours and those parts are hard to get but, you should be fine.

The only parts that wear are the stem, roller, pin and one internal O-ring seal.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Seems to be less effort on right valve than the left

I would look at the pivots and rod eyes of the linkages before a valve would be a problem. Just like that cam roller bearing, the other pivot bearings are likely dry and worn out.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only thing is it was all off a sudden

Like I said earlier, a small amount of wear can cause big problems.

You may have more problems but, I would fix the low cost and simple issues first. After completing these repairs and you are still having trouble turning, check the pressure to the steering clutch by installing a gauge in place of the line to the release piston. This is the short tube from the valve to the top of the case.

Compare the pressure to the other side, they should be the same. If not, inspect inside the case for leaking.

It is important to have the steering clutch release first then the brakes can apply and begin the turn. If the pedal is too low, adjust the brake band. I like to set the adjustment so the pedals are just clear of the firewall.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How about I buy you a plane ticket and you fix it haha
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm just kidding but what dealer are you witg

I understand, it would be a job I like to do. Not too many machines left around that aren't covered with electronics.

I do not post personal information on this site. This forum is open for public viewing.

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician