Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat 289C. Track has come of just on the back wheel.

Customer Question
I have a cat...

I have a cat 289C. Track has come of just on the back wheel. don't know how to get it back on. It is in the woods. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

Cat 289C. don't have serial number.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so.

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
11/8/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 5 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

First step is to get the track adjuster fitting out, so the adjuster can be collapsed, to get slack on the track. Use the bucket to lift up the machine and place object under the center of the track, and let unit down, this should let adjuster idler move back and give the needed slack. The raise unit, remove the object under rack, and use pry bar to slip track back onto the rollers. Then use the grease adjuster to tighten the tack Here is a group of various Utube videos and bogs on replacing track.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+289C&oq=cat+289C&aqs=chrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=cat+289C+track+replacement