How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Curtis B. Your Own Question
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Satisfied Customers: 28322
Experience:  Technican turned service manager with multiple lines of equipment and rental units.
Type Your Construction and Road Equipment Question Here...
Curtis B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a cat 289C. Track has come of just on the back wheel.

Customer Question

I have a cat 289C. Track has come of just on the back wheel. don't know how to get it back on. It is in the woods. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Cat 289C. don't have serial number.
JA: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 9 months ago.

First step is to get the track adjuster fitting out, so the adjuster can be collapsed, to get slack on the track. Use the bucket to lift up the machine and place object under the center of the track, and let unit down, this should let adjuster idler move back and give the needed slack. The raise unit, remove the object under rack, and use pry bar to slip track back onto the rollers. Then use the grease adjuster to tighten the tack Here is a group of various Utube videos and bogs on replacing track.

Related Construction and Road Equipment Questions