Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Attempting to get the aux hydraulics to work on a CAT 287.

Attempting to get the...

Attempting to get the aux hydraulics to work on a CAT 287. Need to know wiring and or ohm and volt readings at various points. We have 3.6 volts at each solenoid with the key on, no continuity to ground

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?

I do not find a ser# ***** 287 is all thats on the machine

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?

We seem to have voltage going to the rocker switch on the handle but nothing out, yet if we unplug the harness and "hot wire" from the supply lead to one of the "out bound wires we still get no reaction at the solenoids

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.ser# *****
I am confused on how this works, I assume I am waiting on a response or phone call. That is fine, however we close at 5PM central. We can continue at 8 am on Tuesday if need be.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/3/2016
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 6 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I am sorry no one was available to help you earlier. I am online most nights and weekends and can only help during those times.

I will post a troubleshooting guide that can help you with this problem. I am assuming the auxiliary function does not operate in either direction and this is your only issue. This also assumes no indicator lights are flashing.

This also assumes you have CAT ET to perform all the testing. If not, hopefully enough information is here to help you.

The manual does not have specific values for all components.

Please let me know if you need further help. I will be back online tomorrow night too. If this is a problem I will OPT-OUT of this question.

we will try to use the diagram you sent first thing in the morning, thank you. our right hand control only has three wires in it. we have one power-in and its only 8 volts but never get any feed back out and no ohm across the wires when switch is pressed either direction. we put a jumper wire across the switch and no change in aux solenoids.. we also have no lights on the over head switch for the continues flow? all fuses good and i do not have CAT ET

This is controlled by the auxiliary ECM so, jumping connections usually won't work. Also the build ticket for this machine shows the auxiliary control is a proportional control handle and this handle should be like the drawing with a thumb rocker on the handle for the auxiliary control.

we do not have cat et - not a cat dealer so at this point we are no where.
We wonder if the rocker switch in top left of cab should light up and power the circuit some how? The book reads like it may be just to "hold" the flow on one direction or the other. Any way the switch seems unresponsive and we have not been able to pry it out of the holder to test for voltage. We assume it snaps in, pries out but don't want to break it. Can you verify if one must activate the remotes via this switch?
Our joy stick does not seem to have a variable rate switch built into it, it just feels like 2 separate buttons under the yellow rubber cover, and again there are only 3 leads coming from the joystick, not 4. This is a trade in, came from an auction so there is no history, most everything seems to work except the aux remotes.I can keep a tech over for a phone call some night if you think we can get somewhere with out "ET" let me know about the switch - this may be the answer.

The joystick is a proportional switch if it has three wires so, testing is not reliable with a meter. If the handle has failed, the dealer would likely be needed to change the ecm configuration for the new style rocker switch.

I am not sure about the switch in the cab you are referring, I assume it is the interlock override switch. This switch is only used to allow leaving the seat to operate and attachment.

The other could be continuous flow and is only to hold the auxiliary circuit on without hold the button.

Both these feature are usually in the same switch just opposite directions.

No special testing is include for these switches so, you can check wires and connections but, they generally don't shutoff the auxiliary system.

Sorry, I don't do phone calls. I will OPT-OUT of the question if this is a problem for you.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Sounds like I may have to contact the local cat dealer if I want to pursue this. We will probably get nowhere with out the tool. Thanks for your help