Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a jcb 214 backhoe that seems to be lacking power most…

Customer Question
I have a jcb 214...
I have a jcb 214 backhoe that seems to be lacking power most of the time but not always. 3 weeks ago hydraulics were fast and did not bog down the engine. Today hydraulics really bogged down the engine and did not seem to have much power while driving. It has a turbo. Engine sounds smooth. I wonder if it is a turbo issue. Your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/28/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 5 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi my name is***** will be glad to try to help. First confirm good fuel supply pressure and that there are no restrictions, leaks or contamination in the fuel system by dumping the fuel filter into a clean container looking for rust/debris/water. Check the turbo and intake piping for leaks and that the turbo impellar spins freely without drag and does not contact the housing. If okay check the hydraulic system for problems pulling an excessive load on the engine. what is the complete model and serial number and engine model? This way I know what vintage and fuel system you have. Let me know

Dan,Thanks. Here is the info on the machine. Can I check the turbo without removing it?VIN# *****
ENGINE SERIAL# *****
TRANS SERIAL# *****
PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (PIN#)(###) ###-####

Thanks for that. Yes you can. Remove the intake boot that goes between the air filter housing and the turbo inlet. It will give you access to the turbo compressor wheel. . With engine off spin it with your fingers to check it as I mentioned.