Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

We brought a 1995? 215 extend a probably a year ago and its…

we brought a 1995...
we brought a 1995 ? 215 extend a hoe probably a year ago and its been operating fine, the other day it just stopped going into forward or reverse. I checked all the fuses, changed some resistors still nothing. The serial #626995.X.
9/23/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Terry, My name is***** will be glad to try to help. Most commonly this is a faulty park brake switch ir a failed shift controller with worn contacts inside. Its a common wear item. Test power in and out in all gear positions and to the shift solenoids. Id okay check the transmission oil and filter for metal/debris indicating internal problems.... Let me know.

I checked the fluid no signs of metal pulled the filter same how do i check the shift control
am i checking for resistance or 12 volts

Hi Terry. You are checking for power 12V to the shifter and then in each gear position you want to verify you have power out of the shifter.... test all the pins to the transmission and right at the shifter.

is the trans. fluid suppose to be red?

Some use ATF Type F or JCB special transmission fluid. Type F is red.... I would not be concerned.

Dan, Technician
the JCB guy is telling me that atf will destroy the trans.

Hi Terry, It is always recommended to use the OEM spec transmission fluid. There is a spec on the container... click on this link and see PDF page 7 for JCB oils.... JCB makes a universal ATF... see the spec.... It matches dextron 3.... Also see the 10W transmission oil.... It meets a Cat T04 and Allison c4 spec. These are the specs you need to match.

OEM spec does not mean you have to buy it from JCB or their brand....

it does however need to meet the same spec.

The borg-warner shuttle, (the first box behind the torque converter housing) is filled through the top and checked with the dipstick. It is filled with Dex tron ATF. JCB does say not to use Dex tron due to some of the seal problems that they have had with the convertor and front pump. Dex tron will work just fine. In the transmission box, the second housing past the converter, is 90 wt gear lube. This is just a simple gear transmission and is separated from the shuttle. If you have the newer transmission, the synchro-shuttle where all you have is one large case, you HAVE to use the JCB oil. Dextron will not seal properly and you will have internal leaks on the clutch packs. You first have to know which you have, the borg-warner with the gearbox or the JCB synchro shuttle.