Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

Catmastertech, you've helped me in the past (2014?). I have

Customer Question
Hi Catmastertech, you've helped me...
Hi Catmastertech, you've helped me in the past (2014?). I have a 962 GII SN GCBAD00370. It runs ok for 40 mins and then loses power. Our mechanic suggested replacing the turbo which was leaking anyway. No luck. The mechanic is now thinking we should replace the fuel transfer pump (162-9612). This reminds of a problem I had recently with an old ford with +150K miles on it... it was losing power after running for a bit, we would fiddle with the aux. pump, blow air through pipes leading to the diesel tank until a mechanic showed me a metal mesh filter at the intake of the fuel pump that was full of mud, a quick clean with a toothbrush and presto all good, i only had to promise to clean out the fuel tank. Is there something I can do to check what to do next? Serv Code active on the machine now id 030/248.02.
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Caterpillar 962 GII SN GCBAD00370
JA: Anything else you want the construction mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/20/2016
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 1 year ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Sounds like he is throwing expensive parts at it first. Why not throw cheap parts first? (My way of thinking is the boss won't get as mad if I put cheap parts on it didn't need instead of high dollar stuff!)

That code is only a data link error to the dash display. Engine codes begin with 036.

I would start by verifying the engine does not have any fault codes.

Next test the actual fuel pressure from the transfer pump. No need to replace it if it is working correctly.

The fuel pressure should be in the following range when the engine is under normal operating conditions and the engine is under load:

• 400 to 525 kPa (58 to 76 psi)

At low idle, the fuel pressure at the fuel filter's inlet should be at the following amount:

•400 to 435 kPa (58 to 64 psi)

Has he been trying new fuel filters? Did he cut them open to inspect them for trash? (Draining the filter only shows some of what is in the fuel. More can be found trapped in the filter.)

The time it takes to lose power has me concerned. That is way too long for most problems.

Is the engine or transmission overheating? (Could this issue be from an operator caused DERATE?)

It could be trash in the tank that is plugging a line over time but, you should see some evidence by cutting open the old water separator filter to see what is inside it. This filters the fuel from the tank so it will be a good source to determine if you have algae or trash in the tank.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a 036/164.02 and 036/164.11, but SERV CODE is only displayed with 030/248.02.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Codes 036/164.02 and 036/164.11 are displayed, but SERV CODE is only displayed with 030/248.02.The operator is pretty good at flagging problems. Is there something that would alert him to an overheated transmission? Is there a test I can do to check the transmission?Since the machine loses power over time after cooling down I am guessing that it is not a blocked line since the line would be blocked after the next cool down right?

Thanks for the reply. The 030 248 02 code may not effect the machine that much. As long as the other systems are working, I would not be too concerned about it. It is usually a wiring problem and is nearly impossible to find.

Your engine codes are not showing the words SERV CODE as they may only become active when the engine is running.

Using my "cheap parts first" philosophy, I would try a new actuation pressure sensor to see if that eliminates the problem.

Your codes have that sensor in common so, it is where I would start. See details for the codes below.

CID 0164 FMI 02 Injector Actuation Pressure signal erratic

Conditions Which Generate This Code:

The Electronic Control Module (ECM) detects the following conditions:

If the engine is not running, the following conditions must be met.

The actual injection actuation pressure remains above 3 MPa (435 psi) for at least three seconds.
Cold mode is not active.
If the engine is running, the following conditions must be met.

The actual injection actuation pressure and the desired injection actuation pressure differ by more than 2 MPa (290 psi) for at least ten seconds.
The change in injection actuation pressure was not consistent with the change in the current to the control valve.
Cold mode is not active.
System Response:

The ECM will log the diagnostic code. The status of "Injection Actuation Pressure" on Caterpillar Electronic Technician (ET) will revert to a default value.

The engine may experience low power.

Test Step 1. Perform the following diagnostic procedure: Injection Actuation Pressure Sensor - Test

CID 0164 FMI 11 Injector Actuation Pressure system fault

Conditions Which Generate This Code:

The Electronic Control Module (ECM) detects one of the following conditions:

The actual injection actuation pressure and the desired injection actuation pressure differ by more than 3 MPa (435 psi).
The current to the injection actuation pressure control valve is at either the maximum output or the minimum output for an excessive period of time.
Note: The diagnostic code indicates a mechanical problem. The ECM and the electronic control system are operating correctly.

System Response:

The ECM will log the diagnostic code. The diagnostic code may be viewed on a display module or on the Caterpillar Electronic Technician (ET).

Low power
Unstable idle
Difficult to start at normal operating temperatures
Easy to start below normal operating temperatures
Note: The problem may only exist at operating temperature. Air may be trapped in the injection actuation system if the system has been serviced recently. Start the engine and run the engine at 1500 rpm for a few minutes in order to remove the trapped air.

Test Step 1. Perform the following diagnostic procedure: Injection Actuation Pressure - Test

I will attach the guide to test the sensor wiring in case a new one does not fix the problem. Your mechanic will need a multimeter and CAT ET program to perform all the system checks. See the attached guide for details.

The sensor part number is(###) ###-####and it needs a(###) ###-####Seal-O-ring.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Thanks, catmastertech

catmastertech
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician