Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Hitachi EX270-1 excavator and have recently

installed new pumps, and now...
I have a Hitachi EX270-1 excavator and have recently installed new pumps, and now have a problem of when extending arm cylinder quickly, engine loads and would probably stall the engine if pressure was not eased. This also happens sometimes when turning and when lift rams are applied. It also appears to load up sometimes when starting
9/14/2016
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Phillip, My name is***** will be glad to help. Check the intank return filter for fine metal/debris and the return for a restriction. Check the relief valve cartridge for that circuit in the main control valve for sticking or damaged o rings, scoring, etc. Verify the control valv spool moves freely in its bore. Let me know

Dan, Technician
Dan would you happen to know if there is a conversion kit available to convert this machine to a manually operated excavator as there is a small microcomputer and only four solenoids, that are not working as they should and could be causing the problems. I have heard there is a kit that does convert Hitachi EX series excavators but not sure where to source it. Regards Philip

click on this link for a source for these kits.

Conversion kit

Dan I have checked the relief valve and return filter and they appear to be okay.

To be certain no further failure is occurring get a new hydraulic in tank filter, open up the current one with snips or filter cutting tool and pry apart. Cut a decent size square from the filter media and squeeze the excess oil out in a vice then open it up and check in the corners and grooves of the media for fine metal/debris.