Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and Road Equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Construction and Road Equipment

I have a 287B cat skid steer that won't turn over and the

Customer Question
battery indicator comes on checked...
I have a 287B cat skid steer that won't turn over and the battery indicator comes on checked battery and has plenty of juice also tried booster cables and still nothing checked armrest sensor and seat sensor and they are ok
JA: What is the complete model and serial number of your machine?
Customer: Serial # 0287BKZSA03243 287 B it ran fine on the job then I loaded it and hauled it about 5km and it was dead
JA: Anything else you want the equipment mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is about all I can think of
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/8/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Hello! Let's see if we can work together and come to a satisfactory conclusion!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds good

What did the battery voltage check to be? Have yo checked the cable connections, at battery , negative to the frame and positive to the solenoid? Starter will do nothing in service or run position?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery cables are fine even tried to boost still won't turn over I'm kinda leaning towards the starter maybe but didn't think they would just go instantly like that

What was battery voltage or did you not check it with voltmeter? If battery has a bad cell, you can't jump through it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Never checked voltage but battery is only a few months old

Before I went for starter, I would be checking battery!

Fully charged will be over 13 volts, and should have at least 12.5 volts to start.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I will have Dad go check as I'm at work right now so if you can be patient that would be great

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I did put a battery charger on the other day and the battery was fully charged and it still wouldn't turn over but I didn't check the voltage just figured that the battery charger had worked

Battery may be fine, but voltage test will tell for sure. If it is 10 volts, it has a dead cell and you will not start! The seat belt and other safety switch lights show them to be working?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah checked armrest and seat sensor seat sensor sometimes doesn't come on when you lift up with the arm down but may just be a little sticky

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even disconnected sensor on seat and put a jumper in but didn't make any difference

OK> So we are checking the battery?

Will engine spin if the battery terminal is jumped to the switch terminal on the same starter solenoid? If it does, battery, cables , solenoid and starter are ok.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We are checking the battery not sure if it will spin that way as I was trying to avoid jumping it that way

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery reads 12.7 volts I can't try jumping it until tomorrow afternoon when I get back

It is not fully charged, but it may be enough to start engine. Only safetys are the seat belt and safety bar or seat switch.

I see question is still open, Did you find the problem?

???

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok can short the starter and start the machine first time machine ran really rough then died after 5 minutes very little response from the throttle being all the way second start shorting the starter ran perfect for 20 minutes proper response from throttle 3 time after shorting starter ran same as first rough with no response from throttle

Fuel solenoid is not opening the fuel as it is not getting good voltage. Is the charging system working?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No lights on when it's running

You replaced battery?Can you check battery voltage before crank, and after it is running? If charging, the voltage should increase at least one volt.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12.86 before starting and 14.3 when running never changed the battery as nothing wrong with this battery

Voltage is good and charging system is working. The fuel solenoid may be bad, and is not fully opening the fuel passage. It has to have battery voltage to work, do you get full battery voltage to it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
12.43

You can remove it and bench test it to be sure it opens fully, before replacing it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would think 12.43volts would be plenty to open it as with booster cables on you would be getting even more and why would that cause the machine not to start with the key?

Just because it has voltage it may not open. Solenoid may be bad. Think of it as a light bulb, and just because the switch is on, doesn't mean the bulb is good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay let's bench test it

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you send me a diagram of the fuel selonoid as I think I may be testing the wrong thing and my book doesn't show any selonoid

look to the left end of the injection pump body.

no movement, was there a plunger? I can't tell much from the picture. When you applied voltage , did it become a magnet? If not it does not work!

OK<

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician