Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Takeuchi Tb025 that is losing all hydraulic power…

I have a Takeuchi...
I have a Takeuchi Tb025 that is losing all hydraulic power after the machine gets hot Hydraulic fluid seems to be higher than normal Somebody before me had the pump rebuilt ... Still does the same thing if you let the machine run for 30 minutes without using hydraulic functions Looses hydraulic power the boom still move and everything but just has no power same goes for tracks and Slew i'm thinking a relief valve may be or fluid is bypassing someplace?
Answered in 2 days by:
9/3/2016
Mechanic: Jeremy, Technician replied 6 years ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Technician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

I've been gone for a few days and see no one has assisted you yet. Do you still need assistance with this?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

If you need manuals, diagrams, etc please don’t hesitate to ask. I have access to several different OEM resource sites and can provide these items as needed for a premium service at the direct technician cost to you.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback. If for some reason you don’t see the rating screen, please reply with the rating you would like to give me.

Please note that customers are required to rate per your end use service agreement with the site.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

I still need help Thankyou! I have the service manual just need some ideas or recommendations

I would check for a valve sticking near the pump or the relieve valve for the pump.

Also, if you haven't done it, I would test the fluid or just replace it in case the viscosity is wrong. If you have the wrong fluid in there and the fluid gets hot, it will not provide the power you need. That is usually the last resort if the valves all check good.

Otherwise, I would check the bypass valve for the pump and see if it is sticking open. Check the controls on the spools in there to make sure you don;t have a o-ring that came apart in it and causing the fluid to bypass because of it sticking in the valve. I see that a lot after pumps have been rebuilt and the old debris doesn't get caught in the filter.

Some of those pumps have a check valve that will allow the pressure to bypass when idling. See if it is acting up. It should have a spring on it and if the spring gets week, it will not allow the pressure to build when hot.

This machine has a 3 stage gear pump. 2 main reliefs and 4 pilot reliefs machine works fine when hot? There is a lot a logic valve that it always engaged I unplugged wasn't sure if that would cause it . also do you know the size test fitting for Takeuchi ?

I want to say it's a 1/2" NTP fitting for the nipple, but I have seen some of them take a 3/4 too.

I should read relief pressures right? And the manual was saying like PF1/4 and I wasn't sure what that issince every single function on the machine looses power would that be a main relief I feel like since every function looses power it would be something else? Maby logic valve? Stuck
Any ideas??
I tested relief pressures and main relieve pressure today I cannot get it above 2400 psi it jumps to 2400 psi then gradually drops to 1900psi I turn the reliefs up can't get any change in pressure... I found the hydraulic fluid seems very thin and also seems to have water in it It's milky colored and has a iOS 32 weight in it the machine calls for 46iso that could be the problem correct? Can't built enough pressure?
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Dan, My name is***** will be glad to help. Yes 46 is a thicker viscosity so first do a full flush with some cheaper AW32 to get the water out and then fill with AW 46. Check in the filter first for fine metal or debris indicating any pump damage from the water or contamination of the new pump or a component failure occurring. When you can not reach relief it is an indication of a pump issue. Let me know

OK I flushed the hydraulic system with 46 iso I cannot get the pressure to rise above 1500 it will jump to 2000 then gradually drop to 1500 I disassembled the three main relieves And swapped two of them... There is three pumps and it's very odd I didn't see anything in the filter it's weird that all 3 pumps show the same pressure inless there is equal damage to all three what's your opinion?

thanks for the update. since these are gear pumps it is more difficult to isolate by metal in the filter unless the gears have excessively worn into the housings from worn bushings inside. Usually what goes first are the seals causing low pressure and get worse from there. Usually disassembly and inspection after marking the housings is required to confirm a pump issue;. Look for scoring and excessive clearance between the gears and housing as well as failed seals. Let me know. Click this link and see PDF page 92. I would also be sure the pump drive coupling is not slipping on the shaft.

Parts

Well we had pump rebuilt at a local hydraulic shop near us he replaced the seals and less he completely didn't check other parts in the pump then I really don't know I can't get either pump one or pump two at the main relief to build over 1500 psi for a sustained time Time... Can I deadhead the pump to check pressure?

Hi Dan, Thanks for the updated information. I have been on the road this week quite a bit. The pressure is set by the relief valves and the pump has to provide the proper GPM.... If the relief is good then you should be able to deadhead a 5000-10000 PSI gauge at the pump output and achieve over 2000 PSI and if not the pump is no good. Let me know

Well I put the pressure test port on the output line of the pump one and two Before the relief valve . Can't get pressured to build over 2200 they gradually drops to 1500 One is 2200 is reached And I swapped between the three main relief valves and no relief valve made any difference now when you deadhead a pump can I use a high-pressure ball valve and shut cautiously ? Then read pressure before check valve? I understand I need a flow gauge to properly test this but I can't get my hands on one and was checking to see if there was any other options
Any recommendations?

Hi Dan, I was away for the weekend unfortunately when you replied back to me. I will always reply back on my next available logins. obtain a 10000 PSI gauge or better and install after the pump dead headed and see what you get for pressure. a worn gear pump that allows pressure bypass will not even obtain relief pressure set by the relief valves so If you are not getting relief pressure the pump will likely not even build beyond what o you are already seeing for pressures. Let me know

Okay I don't have to worry about pump failure? And also it's weird cause the pressure will jump to 2000 psi and seem like it's relieving cause it drops gradually I'm having a hard time with this one... Also would all three pumps do the same thing they have the same pressure.. And it's okay!I swapped pump 1 and pump 2 main reliefs and there was no change to pump 1 pressure.. Is there another circuit that would cause a pressure drop? I know there's a logic valve that supplies pump 3 pressure when tracks and slew are used together but didn't think that would cause all system pressure drop...I think the flow is declining and can't keep pressure sustained

Thanks for the update. Was there any scoring inside the pumps at the thrust washers and the housings when they were taken apart? I am wondering if any excessive wear might have been overlooked or missed when the pumps were taken apart and possible the pumps will not produce enough volume (flow)now. Gear to housing clearance is very important on a gear pump. Too much wear condemns the pump. New seals will not fix that.

The guy befor brought it to a hydraulic shop and they said they thought it was okay I didn't look they didn't test pressures or anything I'm gunna try to flo test it in the next couple days the shop it was brought to isn't the best

I agree Dan. A good pump will reach the circuit relief pressure by producing enough flow to obtain it. sounds like they did not confirm these pumps were in specs. and just resealed them.

Dan, Technician
Okay Thankyou !! Let me see what happens and I'll keep you updated