Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

1984 D4E JUST PERCHASED FROM GOV DOZER WILL NOT PULL IT IS…

Customer Question
1984 D4E JUST PERCHASED FROM...
1984 D4E JUST PERCHASED FROM GOV DOZER WILL NOT PULL IT IS FREE WHEELING PUT IN GEAR DOES NOTHING PUSH WITH ANOTHER D0ZER IT JUST ROLLS FREELY PLEASE HELP
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/28/2016
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 6 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

The gears in the drives have been removed to let it freewheel. Remove the drive hub covers and see if there are gears missing. This is how you can move dozer if engine is not running.

Dozer was serviced, all fluids and filters in 2007. Dozer ran for 8 hours then would not move itself. Also, dozer rolls freely, put in gear and it does nothing

OK, pull the drive covers and look for a broken axle shaft . If either side is broken it will free wheel and not drive.

ok thank you. we will try that

OK>

no covers on it

I don't have access to Cat manual or this. Only link I know of this tis 777 link, and you have to pay to view! With tractor having no drive and free wheeling, it has lost something in the final drive. You can either find a Cat manual on Ebay r see if you want to view the 777 site. Sorry.

http://777parts.net/caterpillar/D4E/m1763.html

Sorry, I can't help. I am going to opt out. Let's find a Cat Expert. Please do not respond to me or it will lock the question.

Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 6 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Herman, My name is***** post your serial number of your machine. Remove the final drive covers after draining them on both sides and check for anything broken or missing. If all is in tact then this is an indication of a failed steering clutch. Let me know what time zone you are for the best times to call. I am on EST Here. Let me know

The serial number is *****
Where are the drive covers located on this year? I have been searching for a schematic and can't seem to find one.

Hi Herman, thanks for the updated information. Your set up is actually different for this older machine. It is likely you have a steering clutch issue causing your lost drive. Click these links for more FYI on this.

Steering clutches

Steering clutches 2

To access you need to remove the covers at the top rear of the machine.